Rear brake issue

Berserk

I need to replace my rear pads, so I went and bought a set. Got the passenger side tire off, got the caliper off, old pads out, but couldn't compress the piston in the caliper. It won't move for anything, including brake pedal pressure. Is there any way to get it to work easily, or should I just get a new caliper?

One good thing about this is that it might explain my lack of an effective emergency brake.

It needs to be screwed in. Ideally done using a special tool, but can be done without it.

Try this...

The rear caliper pistons have to be turned (clockwise) while pushing in to compress them. There is a special tool available at most parts houses that looks like a little metal cube attachment for a ratchet extension. The cube has little "pins" that fit into the slot on the piston face. Open the bleeder valve on the caliper to relieve pressure as you compress the piston. Once they are fully compressed, close the valve. If you have one of those little bleeder kits with the plastic tube and catch-cup, that would help. You can also use a set of needle-nose pliers to compress them by putting the tips in the slots on the piston, but the tool works much better.

The cube tool that I bought from A.Z. had to be modified with a file to fit properly on my SC.

Huh, I never had to open the bleeder valve to set mine.

Kurt, snap-on makes a good kit that fits nicely.

Opening the bleeder valve is not required, but it can make it easier to turn the piston. It also keeps from forcing old fluid back through the ABS and master cylinder.

Berserk said:
How many turns for the piston to compress? Roughly?

4 or 5 turns will be close. Last time I used a large pair of needle nose pliers and had someone else hold onto the caliper. No matter how you do it, the rear brakes are a pain.

David

Back