Potential injector problem??? HELP PLEASE!!!

AlanEdwards

OK, I've got my engine back together and I need to finish this beast ASAP. Anyway, I was intalling the new o-rings on the injectors and I noticed something. On the injector tip, on the bottom, or "brim", of the little plactic "hat", the "brims" are cracked or broken. The rest of the plactic tip, or "hat", is OK on all of the injectors. It's just at the bottom of the tips, on the "brims", that come out from the tip, that meets the o-rings, that's cracked. It's like this on most of the injectors.

My questions are:
-Is this a problem?
-Would I be OK if I just went ahead and installed the o-rings and went with what I have, or is it necessary for me to replace the injectors?
-Also, are these injector "hats" servicable or replacable?

Take care.

Last edited:
Yeah it is a problem

Do to all that compression alot of pintle caps crack. This can effect the way the injector sprays into the cylinder . Replace those when you get a chance.

carquest...

i called ford they dont make them i tryed everywere else and the same answer you have to buy new injectors or have them sent out... well i got mine from carquest i dont have the part # but its for universal "pintle caps" had to try to diffrent kinds... if you want if you dont have a car quest near you i can go back and see how much they were and get them n ship them to you (comes with o rings and pintle caps)

The reason they crack has nothing to do with compression or anything like that. It is heat and fuel that causes this.

Car Quest has them just ask for pintle caps and give them the info they eill find it. Be extremly careful when you pull them off or you will damage the pintle (the little thing that sticks out in the center) or you can peel the cap that is around the end. The only real reason the cap is there is to hold the spacer and o-ring in place.

Jeff

When I had my injectors cleaned, tested and balanced, they put new caps on them. Somebody makes them, but I'm not sure who would have them available.

OK, I've found a kit that includes the pintle caps from Carquest, standard ignition part # sk28. Is this it? And, how do I get the old one off, without damaging the injector pintle itself? Take care.

Cut them with a pair of dykes on the "brim", 2 cuts 180* apart. And Yes Napa carries them as well.

Jeff

J57ltr said:
And Yes Napa carries them as well.

Thanks for the info guys.

Jeff, do you know, or can you find, the part # at NAPA? I called this morning, and they say that they don't carry them. The guy I talked to sounded like he didn't know what he was doing. But, if I have a part #, that would be great. Take care.

Last edited:
I got 6 pintle cap sets from NAPA today, all they had, perfect. Thanks much to Jeff for the part #. That really helped me out a lot dude. I've got the engine all put together ready to drop back in the car and was going to drop it in 1st thing tomorrow after work. I guess I'll take the blower back off to get to the fuel rail, so I can replace the pintle caps 1st, then put it back together, then drop it its home. It's been a long time coming. Thanks again Jeff. Take care.

AlanEdwards said:
I got 6 pintle cap sets from NAPA today, all they had, perfect. Thanks much to Jeff for the part #. That really helped me out a lot dude. I've got the engine all put together ready to drop back in the car and was going to drop it in 1st thing tomorrow after work. I guess I'll take the blower back off to get to the fuel rail, so I can replace the pintle caps 1st, then put it back together, then drop it its home. It's been a long time coming. Thanks again Jeff. Take care.

Alan,

Looks like you got your problem solved. Here's another part # for the pintle caps. I bought mine from Advance Auto. Here's the info from an earlier post

The part # for the pintle caps is Niehoff 274081. Each kit includes the pintle cap, 2 washers (for each end of the injector), and the plastic washer that goes on behind the washer and pintle cap. Each kit costs $2.19 at Advance Auto. You can get them online at www. partsamerica.com. Just input the part #.

David
'95 SC
5-speed

kendall221 said:
Alan,

Looks like you got your problem solved. Here's another part # for the pintle caps. I bought mine from Advance Auto. Here's the info from an earlier post

The part # for the pintle caps is Niehoff 274081. Each kit includes the pintle cap, 2 washers (for each end of the injector), and the plastic washer that goes on behind the washer and pintle cap. Each kit costs $2.19 at Advance Auto. You can get them online at www. partsamerica.com. Just input the part #.

David
'95 SC
5-speed

Yes, I should be saying o-rings, not washers. The attached pic shows what you get.

David
95 SC
5 speed

Attachments

• 2-12085.jpg
    2-12085.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 36
Thanks David. That's the exact set (6 of them) that I got from NAPA. Only they were a little more expensive, $3.49 a piece. All 6 sets were $22 and change with tax. Take care.

Back