Port Plate Conversation With MPG

MrBlvd

I thought this might be of interest to those of you who have responded to the two other threads on this subject. I saw an add in the back of the July issue of mustangs and fords from MPG Head Services out of Englewood, CO for their port plates. I've got some "new" heads comming in and figured what the hell perhaps they have the product at this time. So anyway, I called and had a farly lengthy conversation with Scott.

To make a long story short, the highlights of the conversation are:
(please keep in mind I did not read all the other posts on this matter so I may repeat something already stated by another member)

1.The basic R&D work is done but MPG has not and is not planning on moving to the next stage at this time. Scott does not feel there is enough interest in plates for the 3.8 to warrant the tooling expense and other costs. I told Scott that there were two very lenght threads on our site showing lots of interst in this item. I asked Scott how many sets he would have to sell in order to make it worth his time. His response was 40 to 50.

2. Scott claims he has perfomance data showing before and after numbers. I told him I felt that posting of this data would certainly facilitate the development of this market. He agreed somewhat. What he really felt would move the masses was an endorsement by a racing team or racing league that focused on the 3.8 followed up by coverage in trade publications.

3. One part of our conversation focused on the potential market size. Scott does not have a good sense of the SC or the enthusiam shared by those (most anyway) who own and modify their own cars. I told Scott that there were also a lot of 3.8 mustang owners who were into perfomance mods and that this might actually represent a larger target market than the SC crowd. I also stated that I did not know for sure if the plates would be directly interchangeble as there were probably several factors involved not the least of which would be any dimensional variations. Futhermore, just becouse the plates might fit, the performance/flow characteristics between the two setups might require a variation in the design to get the most out of each engine. There are many people on this site much more qualified to answer this than I am.

4. Pricing -- Scott estimated ~$200.00 for the set. The desing is an individual machined casting, one for each exhaust port. This is in contrast to the sheet metal fabrication design they also offer.

5. My estimate of start up costs - I have a lot of experience both designing and selling products with significant amounts of machined castings. We have our own shell mold foundry, pattern shop, tons of CNC, ETC... ETC... 10,000 to 20,000 for the pattern work alone then you have to add the overhead associated with configuration/control of eng. drawings, hard costs associated with machine tools, upfront costs associated with putting inventory on the shelf, several of you on this site know the drill...The thing is, he has already invested a lot of time and money in the prototype development. From my perspective (granted not as broad as others) it seems a shame for this item not to be taken to the next step.

6. In the end, I told Scott there were basically two ways I thought our group could help. First, a group buy of 40 to 50 people all of whom must be willing to put down the $ upfront ... say 50 to 75 ... this will show our seriousness and give him both the confidence and obligation to finish up. Second, one of you who sell product (I can think of three off hand) could work with Scott. In my opinion, this needs to be someone with a clear track record (consistent sales, not fly by night, understands the cars and the marketing, could possibly partner by putting up some $ for the rights of sole distribution).

7. http://www.mpgheads.com/

8. I hope this adds to the momentum. I believe there is a market for this item but it is beyond me to faciliate things beyond this "memo" to those of you interested in this item.

I'm interested in a set. It would be alot cheaper then sending our heads out to be welded and ported.

I got a better idea. Check out thier link. Then tell them we are interested in a better head altogether. He would be able to correct the middle intake runner and fix the exhaust as well as making a larger deck height and, AND, putting bigger valves in...lets say $1500-$2000 for a set. I would be in for that....

Chris

I DONT THINK SO!!!!...I think a sheetmetal plate would be cheaper....And I believe the single port stang to be the same exhaust port wise

I don't think there would be enough people to get a group buy going on a $1500- $2000 part, plus head bolts and the gasket set and labor. I know I wouldn't be in it. But a $ 200 part that adds 15-20 hp, and takes a couple hours to put in sounds good to me.

I'd be interested in seeing the data? I ran two sets on a cleveland i had that ran very well. 12.50's at 5000 ft N/A. MPG's been around for at least 15/20 years. I'd trust them. There pretty much Ford specific. They have some nice cams to. For V6 i dunno.

We should set up a poll to see just how many people want to do this , for the lazy who don't want to write :D :D all they will have do is click and vote. should give a good indication of just how many people are interested and it and would be some thing to show the MPG people !

Does anybody know if the 3.8 n/a engines have the same size ports. If so maybe we could let the mustang guys know about this and really get this group buy going.

I have also shown interest in the past on this among countless others only to see it simply fizzle.

If nobody jumps in to volenteer as a vendor to orchestrate this I would suggest that as a club we just move along. All money could go to the SCCoA. Once the SCCoA has collected the agreed amount of orders then this company needs to get busy and fill said orders. I am sure George or Duffy could come up with some reasonable terms. Also once we as a club pass the NEEDED amount of orders the GP price should reflect that as well.

Brad

Buy a $200 aftermarket part that MAY or MAY NOT add horsepower, that is not proven (as yet), and that the manufacturer has already stated that he doesn't have interest in going ahead with?

Count me put unril I see some in action with before/after dyno sheets. And those need to be 3.8L-not clevelands.

It stands to reason that if it works on one set of heads with a simular port design it will work on another. even if the horse power #'s are not big I mean you guy's will spend 200+ on a throttle body when the return is a mere 10 or at best 15 hp! if port plates are an option to welding and reshaping the exhast por0t ,which from what I understand is a tricky and expensive prospect, then why not. :confused:

There is almost noway that it wouldnt make power. Our exhaust port design sucks to say the least and by design port plates would help.

I'm all about product and design improvements, but welded exhaust ports are way over-rated. Just get a good porting job done and get on with life. Kevin L has unwelded ports, and I don't see his car lacking power. :rolleyes:

Seriously, Kurt K and Tony S are perfect examples of 12 second cars that took different approaches to the same result. We can talk about that for quite a while.

Mark Petillo was flat out running down a Steig head car at the Shootout this year. We proved this weekend that the right choice of parts make some of that fancy stuff simply unnecessary. Mark turned 13.77 @ 104 this weekend with an early style blower and 2.73 gears. Something to think about.

Back