Blower Snout Seal Replacement

rickbtbird

** SOLD **
I have an new Blower Snout Seal if anyone is interested. I got two when I did the job and I'm sure I won't be needing it. Part Number is CR7968 $16.00 pluse shipping. With the seal I'll include how I removed and installed the seal without removing the coolant tub.

So...
I just replaced the snout oil seal on my 90 SC's blower, refilled it with GM fluid. and went on the a 50 mile drive. When I got back the blower was still full of fluid and the entire outside of the blower was dry as a bone. :)

I'm not an automotive mechanic but I do have a mechanical background. I use to assemble and disassemble nuclear weapons and worked several years running a Vertical Turret Lathe.

I was able to do the job without pulling off the coolant outlet pipe using a small three armed gear/pulley puller that I picked up from the Ocean State Job Lot for $4.00. What a find that was. Also, I couldn't have found the correct parts without reading through the history here. I Just wanted to say thanks to the folks who posted the part numbers. There's a good group here. I ended up trying the oil seal "Chicago Rawhide 7965". I just happen to have one from a different kit that I never used. Don't use this part. This seal looked totally different from the original and had a single lip. When I installed it the rubber lip caught on the shaft and tore when seating it past the clip grove. The metal retainer came off and was seated on the shaft. I ended up ordering the Chicago Rawhide 7968 from a local bearing shop who had to source the part from a warehouse in Nevada. Three days later I had it. This seal is double lipped and was a perfect fit.

Now that I’ve accomplished this, I’m going install a 10% blower pulley with a steal idler pulley. Boost up!! ;)

Attachments

• P1010827.JPG
    P1010827.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 2,023
Last edited:
I'm very interested in the kit you have and if no one has claimed it yet - I do!! Shipping address is zip code 10573 in NY.

Please email me about this kit at MSG419@aol.com.

Thanks,
Mark

It's really not a kit. It's the front nose seal and some instructions to disamble the snout without having to take off the coolant pipe. You can get a set of three gear/pulley pullers off of ebay for under $25.00
Shipping to your zip code would be about $3.00.
I can do paypal if you have an account or certified check.

MSG419 said:
I'm very interested in the kit you have and if no one has claimed it yet - I do!! Shipping address is zip code 10573 in NY.

Please email me about this kit at MSG419@aol.com.

Thanks,
Mark

I can get two more seals Monday if anybody is interested. I'll also send a detailed doc explaining how I replaced mine.

rickbtbird said:
** SOLD **
I have an new Blower Snout Seal if anyone is interested. I got two when I did the job and I'm sure I won't be needing it. Part Number is CR7968 $16.00 pluse shipping. With the seal I'll include how I removed and installed the seal without removing the coolant tub.

So...
I just replaced the snout oil seal on my 90 SC's blower, refilled it with GM fluid. and went on the a 50 mile drive. When I got back the blower was still full of fluid and the entire outside of the blower was dry as a bone. :)

I'm not an automotive mechanic but I do have a mechanical background. I use to assemble and disassemble nuclear weapons and worked several years running a Vertical Turret Lathe.

I was able to do the job without pulling off the coolant outlet pipe using a small three armed gear/pulley puller that I picked up from the Ocean State Job Lot for $4.00. What a find that was. Also, I couldn't have found the correct parts without reading through the history here. I Just wanted to say thanks to the folks who posted the part numbers. There's a good group here. I ended up trying the oil seal "Chicago Rawhide 7965". I just happen to have one from a different kit that I never used. Don't use this part. This seal looked totally different from the original and had a single lip. When I installed it the rubber lip caught on the shaft and tore when seating it past the clip grove. The metal retainer came off and was seated on the shaft. I ended up ordering the Chicago Rawhide 7968 from a local bearing shop who had to source the part from a warehouse in Nevada. Three days later I had it. This seal is double lipped and was a perfect fit.

Now that I’ve accomplished this, I’m going install a 10% blower pulley with a steal idler pulley. Boost up!! ;)

Back