No off line acceleration

rph1966

Hi
Have a 94 SC with 40K original miles. Lost off line burst of power. Once we get going everything else is OK. Have original fuel filter. Could it be that or someting else. Check engine light will come on for about 30 seconds on occasion but not at off line WOT.
Thanks,
Tony

My car also has that exact problem. If you punch it from a roll its fine and fast, but from a stop . . . eww . . .

Hi

Hope when people get back from the 4th Of July holiday that we will both get help to solve our problem.

Tony

Agreed :) I thought it may be a boost leak on my car, but I am POSITIVE that the intkae lines are good. I now suspect maybe an exhaust leak. I can hear the hissing form behind the motor down low, and am thinking it's where the headers connect to the rest of the exhaust. Possibly plugged cats too . . .

Well, if you have 40,000 miles on the original fuel filter, I'd definitely start by replacing that.

-Rod

HI

Thanks for the replies. I also have some hissing on hard acceleration. I think it has always been there. Had motor mounts replaced a few months ago so we checked for exhaust leaks & found none. Can an exhaust leak cause sluggish off line punch?
Will replace fuel line filter this weekend. What about the timing?

Thanks,

Tony

Is it hot outside when you experience this? because mine does that too. it feels like it lost 40 ft lbs of torque off the line. i think it's the intake air temps causing this because when the IC gets heat soaked, the computer pulls 4 degrees or more of timing. the only way to effectively combat that is to get a front mount IC, or some type of water injection system. i think xr7dave was selling the snow system (?) or something that would take the IAT's way down- even below what a front mount could do.

Exhaust leaks don't really hurt performance, they just annoy the heck out of the driver. If you're hearing a hissing sound when you're at WOT, you probably have a vacuum/boost leak somewhere. How much vacuum is the engine pulling at idle? How much boost is it making at WOT at the top of each gear?

-Rod

Hi
Thanks every one for your suggestions. It is better when I drive the car in the morning when it is cooler. Been in the mid to upper 80s here the last few weeks. Will change the fuel line filter & try it when it is cool.

Tony

I get about 18-19 vacuum at idle. I have tried everything to find boost leaks, and the starting fluid test showed nothing either. Any ideas on where to look for these leaks? Im running out fo ideas :eek:

If you are getting hissing there is a possibility of the cats being plugged. More then likely it is not though becuase you still have upper end power. You need to look more along the lines of an open in your intake tubes or a bad MAF. I would start with the MAF first, well after the filter. To test it is simple. Since you are getting a code I would do a scan but if not, unplug the maf and key the car up twice (not starting it). Then the third time start it. If it runs fine your maf is MORE THEN LIKELY BAD. This is not a 100% check but it is supposed to be. The reason its not 100% is because your CE light will stay on and the computer will be in fail safe mode. That can cancell out aonther sensor that could be bad.

Chris

Back