Another reason to change your own oil!!!

fortee5acp

Since buying my car last year I have had 6 oil changes done. Due to time restrictions I have been bringing it to a local "Grease Monkey's", they are fairly priced and it saves me the ruts I dig in my dirt driveway trying to get my car up the ramps. Well to get to the point car was 1000miles overdue for the last change, and I've developed quite an oil leak, leaving large puddles lately at work, home, church whereever I parked and the oil low light has been coming on frequently. I probably put 4qts in over the last two weeks, and I am thinking the worse, hole in oil pan or bad gasket in oil pan. Today I finally got a chance to put it up on the ramps(two fresh ruts in driveway :mad: ) and found my oil filter cracked and leaking. So I am thinking great, motor mounts are now totally shot. There isn't a lot of room between filter and crossmember anyway but after getting a new filter and going to remove old one I found it not even hand tight!!! Does anyone know how much clearance should be between the filter and crossmember of the k frame.I am hoping the filter not being all the way on is what contributed to the crack. I know with almost 160K miles my mounts are probably worn out but am hoping to go w/o changing them until I pull motor for a rebuild or replacement which is still a ways off(two months at least)

If your oil pan is sagging lower than your crossmember then the mounts are probably bad. Having it loose is better than too tight. I cranked mine on by hand and ended up warping the oil cooler. That caused a nice leak. You should check that oil cooler where the filter gasket seals and make sure you don't have the same prob. make sure it's smooth all the way around.

Mine cracked like that.....

It might have been from bad mounts, but I think I hit something......

It's a shame that you have to check behind the so called experts when getting your car serviced......

I took mine to one of those oil change places and the IDIOT mechanic closed my hood by letting it down ever so gently.....

He then placed a hand on each corner of the hood then pushed down leaving two small dents in the corners of my hood!!!! :eek:

It was the last time they changed my oil.....

Back