balancer spinning on its hub?

thunderstruck

Anyone ever seen a balancer break by having the outer balancer break loose from the balancer hub? It broke at the rubber. Ive done a little searching on broken balancers, and read something about having to get new balanced underdrive pulleys if I go with a bjh balancer? If I go with a ford balancer, is it true that its one time use? Do I need a new crank bolt regardless?

haven't seen it on an sc, however, I have had it happen on a mazda mx-3 I had, was caused by the A/C compressor seizing. so it certainly can happen, and I would replace the bolt, no reason not to when you already have it apart.

These balancers usually come off because the bolt breaks in the crank..so your lucky there. Now mine broke at the snout and the bolt broke :confused: ...anyways go ahead and get the BHJ....I've had one for over a year without any other mods or pullys it works better than it ever did. ;) ... Get one from Victor at www.spinningwheels-sc.com and he'll give you the bolt for free. He will be more than happy to answer any question you have about it. you can see references to how good he is in the "Good Sellers" forum on this site...Hope this helps...

A side note; I'd get a new crank sensor and replace it too while I was in there just to be on the safe side... ;)

Rick

Oh yea to answer your question I did have a balancer "seperate" on me once on my '78 Z-28 Frappin thing then wore a hole in my timing chain cover and all my oil poured out....course thats cause I drove aound for a week with the thing "freespinning" in there. Sounded kinda funny when I shut the engine off.... :D wiff,wiff,wiff,wiff,wiff,wiff,wiff.. Oh to be 16 and stupid again... :rolleyes:

I know Ed don't say it...as opposed to 40 and stupid.... :eek:

That's OK.....

I was 16 once and if I remember I was stupid, too....... :rolleyes:

I put a nice cam in my 289 when I rebuilt it.....

Took it out to the school parking lot to do a burn out and blew the motor because of the incredible RPM's that the little motor could turn out....

Well, I pumped all of the oil up into the top of the motor and wiped the lower end of the motor...... :eek:

It still got me home though..... :D

Back