trac loc vs. not

cato

I have 2 pumpkins right now, and am wondering which is better off, I have a stock auto without trac loc, and a stock 5-speed with it. would the trac with the lower gears be better because it hooks better and goes, or would the auto with the slightly taller gears and no trac do better?? its a 5 speed car if that makes any difference.

Basically if you want traction, get the Trak-lok. If you like one tire fires and not getting all the grip you should, go with the open diff.

Trac lok or not to Trac lok

I have read that there is a problem with snapping half shafts with trac lok. Does anyone have any experence with this?

From what I understand its mostly the 5 speeds who do that. Autos don't do it as much. And I'm not sure if its as much the Trak-Lok as cars who are modified and do a lot of drag racing. Dump a few thousand $ into the engine and race it a lot without upgrading your drivetrain to handle it, you'll have problems in any car.

what is it you want to do with the car is the first ?.if you plan to race alot then go with the trac loc and lower gears.if it is just a street car then the slip diff and taller gears is what you need.
as for the shafts breaking it is mostly in the man cars from dumping the clutch and putting all the torque to the wheels in one quick shot.the autos always have a bit of pressure on the shafts so its not as drastic a shot of power at once like from the mans.

Sharon Silver said:
I have read that there is a problem with snapping half shafts with trac lok. Does anyone have any experence with this?

Sharon,

Nope...wheel hop and bad wheel bearings are the main cause for halfshaft failures. That was until Raxles started making their shafts from some cheap a$$ steel. Those things break so easy, your better off keeping stock shafts.

David

Last edited:
If you're worried about breaking half shafts then get a 10% blower pulley to induce belt slippage. It's much easier on the drivetrain.

Just an idea.

Back