Convert 91 SC Airconditioning to R134

bobpentel

Anyone, experienced at converting the Air-conditioning system from R12 to R134. Local Air-conditioning shops are ripping off customers to the tune of $300 to $500 to recharge R12.

I've read reports that the stock FX10/15 Ford compressor will not hold up under increased high side pressures and will self destruct, causing black death (contaminate condenser, evaporator and lines with metal particles).

I've checked numerous Air-conditioning Web sites and have learned that R12 supplies will exhausted by the end of 2006. Even recycled R12 will be gone. R12 12oz cans are selling on Ebay for as high $20 @, however you have to have certificate to buy the stuff.

I, also read where Australia has endorsed R12a a Hydrocarbon formula for their cars, but haven't really heard any positive comments about it here in the USA, because its flammable.

Bob G

There are always cheaper alternatives to those shops charging that much. I got a quote to convert mine over to 134 for 120 bucks, that included o-rings and all that good stuff. I am still using my stock compressor and all is well...

Change all the o-rings, the orfice tube, and the drier. I did mine early last year and she is still super cold. I also did my Bronco (o-rings only) when 134 first came out, and it was fine.

use autofrost, its a replacement for r-12 and you dont need a lisense to buy it, i say its colder than r134 its as cold as the real r-12

Autofrost and 134 will go the way of the Gooney Bird soon-a new refrigerant is scheduled to hit the market next year-supposed to have the cooling properties of R12 and the enviro-friendliness of 134.

That's what I read in Automobile recently.

And if frogs flew they wouldn't bump their butt so much

Back