Automatic Transmission R&R Questions

cp308

I’m trying to decide if I should attempt to replace the automatic transmission on a 95SC or have someone do it for me. I already have the built-up rebuilt transmission to install, just need to do it or have it done. I’ve got the usual home mechanic tools plus ½" drive socket set, 6 jack stands and 2 floor jacks. Are there any nasty “gotchas” or time saving tricks I should know, or special tools I should consider renting?

I would drop it in yourself, if you have the time, and would like to save a bunch of bank. If your putting the whole car on axle stands, never put all four stands on the frame, you'll probly bend it. I would hold the front up by the frame, and hold the rear up by the suspension. A tranny jack would be nice to have, but thier too tall if your doing the work on blocks or axle stands, your two jacks and a flat peice of wood should do the job nicely. Now would be a good time to think about an external tranny cooler, lube job, maybe even a fuel pump.

not to tough

just time comsuming. jack the back up first to remove the fuel tank. (good idea to change the fuel pump).remove driveshaft . separate the front yoke from the drive shaft shaft and put it back in the tail of the transmission. wire it there to stay . this will help keep the trans fluid in the trans during the removal.replace the u-joints on the driveshaft and have it balanced. have the torqure converter removed with the trans . the rest you will figure out. oh and have about 2 feet of drive extensions and a swivel for the bellhousing bolts. remember!!! your car is on jackstands !!! and you are under it!!! be gentle when you work under there !!!! HAVE FUN!!!!! :D :D :eek:

Tickler said:
I would drop it in yourself, if you have the time, and would like to save a bunch of bank. If your putting the whole car on axle stands, never put all four stands on the frame, you'll probly bend it. I would hold the front up by the frame, and hold the rear up by the suspension. A tranny jack would be nice to have, but thier too tall if your doing the work on blocks or axle stands, your two jacks and a flat peice of wood should do the job nicely. Now would be a good time to think about an external tranny cooler, lube job, maybe even a fuel pump.
Thanks Tickler! Didn't think about the fuel pump. Lube job? are there places to lube which are not normally accessable with the trans in?

huckleberry said:
just time comsuming....this will help keep the trans fluid in the trans during the removal.... have the torqure converter removed with the trans ...and a swivel for the bellhousing bolts. remember!!! your car is on jackstands !!! and you are under it!!! be gentle when you work under there !!!! HAVE FUN!!!!! :D :D :eek:
thanks Huckleberry, good advice!
Are you saying I will have to get a shop to remove the torque converter from the trans?
By swivel, are you are refering to the U-Joint thing for the socket?

Drop the 4 main bolts out of the rear end and remove the driveshaft from it. Then let it hang you can slide the driveshaft above the rearend and out of the transmission. It won't get the driveshaft out completely but it will leave you room to get the transmission out.
Alan

Thanks Alan! So you don't necessairly think I need to have the driveline balanced? Or is it easy to remove the driveshaft once the trans has been removed?

Back