What are these black plastic things!?

Sampo

Underneath the front bumper are two similar black plastic parts, just behind the bumper... What are these plastic things..? :confused:

There must be some reason for them... Tell me you wiseguys...! ;)

BTW... I have now waited over two months my parts I ordered, hope I will get them soon. I haven't written here for a long time because I've been so busy, and it will continue... But hi to everyone who recognizes me! :)

Sampo said:
Underneath the front bumper are two similar black plastic parts, just behind the bumper... What are these plastic things..? :confused:

There must be some reason for them... Tell me you wiseguys...! ;)

BTW... I have now waited over two months my parts I ordered, hope I will get them soon. I haven't written here for a long time because I've been so busy, and it will continue... But hi to everyone who recognizes me! :)

Sounds like your talking about the air dam mounting pins.

David

David Neibert said:
Sounds like your talking about the air dam mounting pins.

David

Ok... Could you tell me closer what those air dam mounting pins are I mean can I remove them safely? ( I already did it...! :cool: )

Sometimes it's so diffucult to translate English words to Finish... :eek:

J.D. said:
Are you referring to the bumper isolators that are above the fog lights?

Nope...I think "my things" are more middle... That piece of plastic is hanging there with one screw... and the size of the hand....

NCredSC said:
Sami, could you post a pic of it, so we will know what you are asking about?

I'll do that!

It will maybe take some time because I'm leaving my home a couple of days since tomorrow... But I'll post it when I come back... :)

I think you are taliking about the square black plastic things bolted to the bottom of the steel bumper support. I believe they are there to keep the bumper cover from being crushed when towed. Cars with real bumpers could be towed with a sling back in the day. I think that practice is all but gone with all the painted bumpers. I wouldn't have the car towed from the front anyway. If you need the car towed call a flatbed.

Jerry

I finally got the pics of that black plastic thing which is located underneath the bumber... What is it!? :confused:

Attachments

• t-bird sc 004.jpg
    t-bird sc 004.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 127
  • t-bird sc 002.jpg
    t-bird sc 002.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 102
Thats the end section of the impact bumper. I've got one end on my 35th that broke off like that too. They were originally rivited in place, I had to run a bolt/nut/washer to get mine back in place. I can't say I would want to leave that off though.

There were two of those things underneath the front bumber... I took off both of them! Sorry but I don't get it what those are! :eek: :confused:

The outside of your bumper (called the bumper cover) is just painted plastic with no strength. If that's all there was and you hit something, it would just crush through and ruin the bumper cover, and maybe the impact would cause damage into your engine.

That black piece underneath the bumper makes the the whole thing a lot stronger. It's the structural part of the bumper that makes it more impact resistant. So if you hit something with your bumper and that piece is underneath, it will absorb the shock much better!

joenintiesc said:
The outside of your bumper (called the bumper cover) is just painted plastic with no strength. If that's all there was and you hit something, it would just crush through and ruin the bumper cover, and maybe the impact would cause damage into your engine.

That black piece underneath the bumper makes the the whole thing a lot stronger. It's the structural part of the bumper that makes it more impact resistant. So if you hit something with your bumper and that piece is underneath, it will absorb the shock much better!

OK! Thanks! So it would be better if I install them back...?! :eek:

I believe that was originally one piece.....

Seems like those two end pieces were held to the main piece with a thin strip of plastic. Then bolted or rivited to the structure behind the bumper.

cary Jackson said:
Seems like those two end pieces were held to the main piece with a thin strip of plastic. Then bolted or rivited to the structure behind the bumper.

This seems interesting.... :eek: I have to check it better when I have time....

Back