to the old timers

neal frisbie

Just wanted to stop by and say hi to any old timers out there. I was playing around and came across the site; it surprised me that these cars are still going strong. Seems like this form has a lot of good people and some interesting info listed. Is Bill Evenhof (spelling) still active with any of this?

I can remember when it was a challenge to just buy spark plugs for these cars now it seems that you can buy some pretty serious performance parts for them.

What are you guys using for tuning the ecu?

neal frisbie said:
Just wanted to stop by and say hi to any old timers out there. I was playing around and came across the site; it surprised me that these cars are still going strong. Seems like this form has a lot of good people and some interesting info listed. Is Bill Evenhof (spelling) still active with any of this?

I can remember when it was a challenge to just buy spark plugs for these cars now it seems that you can buy some pretty serious performance parts for them.

What are you guys using for tuning the ecu?

Hi Neal,

Bill Evanoff is still around, just not running the club anymore. Bill runs his parts business http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/ and George Davenport, Ron D. and Duffy Floyd are running the club.

Some people are still using the old Shift Master EEC tuner, many others have a custom Diablo chip, but if you want something custom these days SCT is the best option.

Thanks for dropping by.

David

Nice to see you dropping by Neal. Part of me wants to blame you for my sickness :D , but only because I was there to witness the "then historical" 12.4 run at National Trails--my very first SC event I attended. I was basically hooked before the event, but that sealed it.

Anyway, glad to see you are still around.

Man that was an interesting time when I went to that first meet……….. I remember feeling out of place, as I’m the only one jacking up the car putting on racing tiers, draining the fuel tank putting in racing fuel.
I had those heads off so many times……….. That engine was one of the harder ones to work on.
The lack of being able to have complete control over the fuel and ignition curves is what made me give up on the car. I had that chip made but when I did the last modifications to the motor I had “knock” that I couldn’t get red of.

Good to see you Neal!! I am probably a little too new around here (joined in 2000), but still remember watching videos of your, and remembering how cool that was!! You for sure had a part in my sickness also! Pull up a chair and stay for awhile.

Thomas

Neal Hello

"Nice to see you back"

Its been a long time looking to push my SC up into the 11.60-50's with no Nitrous just all motor. what ever happen to your SC? your never to old to get back into it :)

Engine management is no longer a problem. The SCT software gives you complete control of timing and fuel. Realtime highspeed datalogging is next.

Coy Miller ran 10.85 with his full weight car and 12's are the norm anymore. You can actually mail order a 12 sec SC now. The supercharger has become the limit now with turbocharged Mustang V6 guys making rwhp in the high 500's. I kind of expect to see a V6 Mustang run a 9.99 this year.

Welcome back!

When I got involved in the club around 1997, I think a 13.5 was still the fastest SC time. I remember talking with a local shop about doing some motor work, gunning for the fastest sc spot. They felt confident that they could put my SC in the mid 13's (for a lot more money than I had back then).

Then just a few months later you blew that record right out of the water and your 12.4 made me quickly forget about trying to take the #1 spot.

Here I am 8 years later and barely in the 13's. :) No real motivation to move up on lists or take anyone's spot. I just like to continually improve my SC, hang out with the crew and occasionally try to best my last time (which is usually at least a year old by the time I race again).

Nice to hear from you again.

Micah

Car is in Lima Ohio

Last I heard the car was in Lima Ohio. I bought some stuff off the guy that owns it now. He was in the process of thinking about getting back on the road about 3 years ago. I haven't heard anything from him since. If I am not mistaken he had to do some body work due to a accident thet Neil had before he sold it.

Just my two cents

Chuck

I hate to be skeptical, but this board has taught me to question everything.

Last I remembered, "Neal" spelt his name "Neil".

Don't believe everything you read. Unless the man spelt his own name wrong.

If I'm wrong....sorry Neal. LOL Too many goofballs here...I had to ask.

Well I got the bug to make my coupe faster because my buddy had a Buick Grand National. I was trying to keep up with him so one thing led to another. I ended up selling the car (for way too little) because I got fed up with it. I knew the blower was not able to pump any more air so I was at the hp limit of a stock appearing car. The last mod I made bumped the cr up 10:1 and with no way to easily tune the ecu back then there was knock that I couldn’t get rid of.
The blower inlet after the throttle body was more fiber glass and epoxy then aluminum.
The car really needed a front mount intercooler and custom piping………..
The final straw was when the trany started to not stay in overdrive.
I definitely enjoyed the car for the time that I had it, with it’s big block torque and nice quite ride with the v6 fuel economy.
Sure their was a lot of other cars that would have been faster and cheaper to build but back then how many v6’s could beat the ever popular Mustang…………
Now days I’m playing with one of those dreaded 4 cylinder cars. I would have never believed that I would go from the American v8 thing down to a performance v6 and end up with a 2 litter making the most power out of the bunch…

Technology you got to love it.

Now that there is a way to easily reprogram the ecu the options are wide open.
Back in the mid 90’s just finding a dyno was a gift let alone being able to afford a wide band o2 system. I don’t think anyone even made one that would mount in the car and let you see real time info.
Now days my laptop is my ecu for my four banger.

Isn’t it funny how we will modify anything!

I still keep an eye open at Norwalk for the few SC I see run out there, there is just something about the blower wine….

This is the real Neal Frisbie (the fat guy in the one picture with his arm on the open hood of the car and the dry ice smoking away!!) Bill always misspelled my name in the articles.

Neal, too bad you didn't make it out to the 2nd annual SC Shootout at Norwalk last fall. You would have seen Coy's 10 second pass.

Good to hear that you're still involved in the automotive hobby. :)

cheers
Ed N.

I think Neal had posted on TBU a while back, saying he was playing with an Integra.

cheers
Ed N.

Yep it’s an integra, it’s not any cheaper building a four cylinder though. I got into it the four banger because before the SC I was into road racing super bikes. I just love the sound of high rpm engines… So 8000 rpm red line in a streetcar is fun for me.
The car has all of the normal things for an add on turbo system and 200 hp per litter for the street, just no throw you back in the seat torque like the Sc.

I keep seeing that the blowers are getting more efficient with each generation, and it looks like people are using the next size up blowers now.

The cars where fun from the factory but there where so many compromises in the design of the whole system to fit the package under the hood.

It’s funny how times change 10 years ago I would never think of making custom intercooler piping, now I look back and think what a pansy I was for not taking it to the next level. I just personally would not gut any of the creature comforts of the car to be able to go any faster.

I just personally would not gut any of the creature comforts of the car to be able to go any faster.

Neal,

Me neither....mine still has the full interior and all the power gadgets. My AC blows ice cold, but when I need it most I can't run it for very long without overheating the motor. That's probably because of the FMIC restricting air flow and preheating all the air before it reaches the radiator.

It seems like the biggest improvements in the last few years have been better superchargers, better heads, better tuning and better intercoolers.

David

Speaking of times gone by, does anyone remember T-Bird Tim Tops? Ahhh... the good 'ol days.

Thomas

Back