Warped Head??

Kube

Recently blew head gasket and replaced but now I am getting smoke from the exhaust manifold at the rear passenger cyclinder. This IS where the gasket blew. There is nothing leaking/dripping on to it. It seems the leak is internal. Does this sound like the head is warped/cracked?

I have gone way past my patience limit and will probably sell the car. I just have to decide wether I want to dig into it again or sell it as is!

first does your car have stock exhuast? and how long have you run it since you replaced the heads

Exhaust is stock. Since gaskets replaced, It has been driven maybe 10 miles (few trips around the block) and logged 30-60 minutes of idle running in the garage to clear out the exhaust...blew lots of smoke clearing out the anitfreeze in the exhaust!

Bad Mistake with an SC, they should be pressure checked and if they check out, then have the decked and valve job done. SC’s have a habit of overheating and cracking heads. You will get some white smoke (moisture) right after you fire it back up until the cats and exhaust have been cleaned out form any moisture.

I would think your next step, would be to have a sniff test done for the cooling system to see if you have exhaust gas flowing in or not. You can get a kit from NAPA or a most garages can do one for you.

ANY engine that has the heads removed whould be resurfaced and pressure checked at the least.

Jeff

Thanks for the input. I might try the sniff test but most likely will be putting an add in the paper and see what I can get out of the car. Tired of it being in the garage on jack stands with no spare time to work on it!!!!

How do you know if you cracked a head?

Car runs normal cold and burns more and more coolant as it warms?

oh god no....
-dan

I am not positive it is cracked. I blew a head gasket a few months back. Now that I have it back together, I am getting moisture on the passenger side rear cylinder exhaust manifold. Their is no visible external leak that I can find. It is possible that the manifold was just saturated from prior issue with either antifreeze or maybe even oil, but I would think that it would have burned off by now. So my theory is it is warped and I am still getting water in the exhaust...I really don't know.

Back