Electric fan issue

BirdofPrey97

Have an 89 that the radiator fan was locked up. Very hard to run by hand. Anyhow, got another fan that works and plugged it in, but it doesn't turn on. Any ideas on what, where and how to test to find the problem?

When the fans go on the early models they sometimes burn out the fusible link to the fan. This link is in a big bundle of wires that runs to the driver's side fender. The alternator wires are also in this bundle. You probably just need to replace that fusible link to get power to the fan.

my fusible link was burned out as well, after my fan shorted out and smoked. The link you need to replace is a 16 gauge link that connects to a plug with a thick yellow wire on it. Couple of buck at the local auto parts store.

So, just run the wires from the fan plug in back to the D-side fender and the link should be found? Any idea what color of wire?

Somedays it really sucks to be a visual learner. lol

mlbuxbaum said:
The link you need to replace is a 16 gauge link that connects to a plug with a thick yellow wire on it. Couple of buck at the local auto parts store.
I'm guess'n yellow :p :p :D

Ira

Last edited:
Appreciating the help all, but the yellow wire I found doesn't have a fuselink with it. Goes from the plug in harness to the box, but no link. Is this link on the P-side or the D-side? Location location location.

Followed the wiring harness from the fan all the way across the front of the car over to the D-side, but didnt see a link.

For us Visual people. It is a 16GA Fuselink. Thanks all for your help! Just click on the "Attachment Thumbnail" and the pic will pop up.

The search button is your friend.

Last edited:
Back