Transmission Implosion

Phillio99

Today I was driving home from school and it started to rain, being that my bird is windshield wiper-free at this point i pulled off at a Taco Bell and waited out the rain. About 45min later i get back in my car and head for home, as Im shifting 1-2 absolute horrible grind. I say hmmm thats new I don't remember hearing that before, third has been grinding so I usually just shift around or double clutch but i go to shift 2-4 and 4 gives an equally horrible grind. Manage to get the car home where I have been letting it sit for the last few hours, went to start it up, was having trouble turning the key over so for giggles i decided to try to run through the gears with out the car running. Can't get into first, second, and fourth. Manage to start the car shift into first no problem, shift into second no problem. I get to the end of my block and turn around, shift into first, let out the clutch and I hear a grinding, with it already in gear. If the clutch is let out the pushed back in while moving a low grinding can be heard in first i don't know about the other gears. Absolutely fed up with freakin T-birds, Ive had the car 10 months now, it finally ran and now this. Ive been driving it for a week, ONE FRIGGIN week, one tank of gas that's all Ive driven it for.
Oh, yea, what do you think went wrong and what should i do.
Thanks for the ideas,
Phil

Last edited:
If it only grinds when the clutch is out, it sounds like what mine did. Mine sounded that way and then it finally locked up while trying to put it on the trailer after I bought it. Seems the previous owner knocked some of the teeth off 2nd gear of the main cluster. Eventually one of those teeth got caught in the gears and locked up the transmission.

I can't remember if there is a drain plug down low or not on the 5spd, but I suggest you try to drain the fluid and check for metal.

I hope I'm wrong and somebody has some other ideas.

Good Luck

It sounds like your clutch is not fully disengaugeing to allow it to shift properly
Look for leaks around the line and master cylinder. I should have read your post more clearly. It dose sound like it went or your clutch had some kind of failure.

Last edited:
Also the slave is prone to leaking. There is an inspection cover that you can get a look at the inside of the Clutch area. If the slave is leaking thenm you are going to have to drop the trans.

Jeff

If the tranny is grinding when the gears are engaged, then most likely catastrophic failure has occurred already. Look for another transmission.

Back