member formerly known as supercoupe90, um, about that collar nut...

tbird88

mysterious collar nut from space (pics pics an' more pics...)

That sucker must be magnesium! Cught heck welding the crack, haven't ground it down to see if it's fried yet.

Got rained out yesterday mornin' and did all that butcherin', rained out again today so I went & got the parts tacked together so I could miter the walls. Headed out to the garage to hack & chop everything so keep yer fingers crossed!

Oh yeah, if anybody lives in northern Louisiana or Mississipi ya better hold onto yer sombreros tight, got some frog-chokin' weather headed your way.

'bird

js496f6b.jpg

js498F6.jpg

Last edited:
[COLOR=66699]Wynn....so what's up if you can't repair the collar nut? Always somethin' huh?!?! I could tell by the pic you emailed me the crack didn't look too good, just didn't think it would turn out to be a problem. It was a fairly clean crack. I guess I could use the one on the car if I had to right?
-Jeff[/COLOR]

well, first thang I'm gonna do...

I'm gonna try grinding & sanding & takin' a look at it real close. The threads in that area are bad, fixin't to Dremel them down just a touch so it'll screw on a little easier and then see how it goes.
If the weld holds it should still thread well and seal good.

pic in a little while...

'bird

ps: thanks for the invite to http://www.tbirdforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

[COLOR=666699]Not that I have any doubts in your work, but do you think I'd be better off putting a newer/non-broken collar on it? I know that one was a little torn up anyway from someone doing the screwdriver/hammer trick to remove it. I could swap it with the one that's on the car too right? Is the inner nut hard to turn, and what do you use to turn it? Thanks for the link too! It ain't no SCCoA, but it's a nice little board. If we can get a few more people on it, it'll be even better!
Thanks Wynn,
-Jeff[/COLOR]

homie, dis ain' lookin' so good...

Well, ya might start huntin' down that other nut.

'bird

js500F6th.jpg

js501F6th.jpg

js502F6th.jpg
js503F6th.jpg

js506F6.jpg

Back