B&M shifter question...

blksn8k

I just received the B&M shifter I bought on eBay. I was somewhat surprised/disappointed when I opened the box and realized that the shifter does not have adjustable stops. Then I did a search here and from what I read it seems the newer model does not have stops. Is this true? Is this better? The auction stated that it was for a Ripper and the photo in the auction showed adjustable stops. But the one I got is labeled as a "Short Throw Sport Shifter" part #45058. No where on the box nor in any of the literature is the word "Ripper". If this is the latest design I guess I don't have a problem with it especially since it was $20 less than Summit's price for the same part number... :confused:

I bought my B&M shifter from Summit a couple years ago and it didn't have any adjustable stops.

Yep......!

And wait 'til you install it!!! For a performance shifter they are sloppy as hell and I think that is why mine hangs up and misshifts. My Hurst in my 302 Stang is far superior and it has the stops to keep you from bending the shift rail. Oh, well, it's the modern age: less for more money.

only thing i can say bad about the B & M ripper is the tension of the spring, takes some emff to put it into gear from nuetral, but for fast shifting and racing, i think its sweet! i'm shocked to hear anything bad about it, i have 1 in each of my SC's a 90 + 91 and i love them and would never go back to the stock long throw and sloppy shifter! this is so tight, i dont know how anyone can say its sloppy? also i did a pro 5.0 shorter shifter arm also to make it shorter than stock. :) i've never read or herd of a SC ripper with adjustable stops, not saying there isnt any, but i have never read it yet. it someone has one please post and let us know.

Hey Al.......!

How are things goin' with the drag car? Tough about our brother havin' to sell his car, Huh! Next time I'm in yer neck of the woods, I'll show you what I mean, I just wish I could show you how much better the Hurst is with the stops!!! I saw what he is talking about, it is either a different p/n or the earlier ones did in fact have the stops like the Hurst, saw one with my very bloodshot eyes, thought that's what I was buying when I bought mine!?! cheers, Frank H.

Well, I installed the B&M shifter on Saturday. It is a little more difficult to find reverse and I have tried to start out in 3rd a couple of times. :D I attribute all that to the stiffer spring loading compared to the factory shifter. The B&M does have slightly shorter throws but the biggest improvement, in my opinion, is the 2-3 shift. Again, I attribute this to the higher spring loading.

I also switched the trans fluid to Pennzoil Synchromesh. Although I have not really put enough miles on it to know if there will be any huge improvement, it does seem to shift into 2nd much easier than before.

Overall, I would say these changes have been well worth the effort.

I also switched the speedo cable driven gear from the stock 17 to an 18 tooth. I did this because my speedo was reading too fast after the switch from 255/60-16 Gatorbacks to 225/60-16 Dunlop SP Sport 5000's. What pisses me off the most is that both tires are Goodyear brands and they can't even make their own tires similar enough in diameter to not F with the speedo. Anyway, my speedo may read a tick slow now but at least I'm not racking up miles on the odometer that I didn't drive. :rolleyes:

I would say i pass on a B&M shifter I have driven a car with one in it and I did not like vary hard to find the right gear.

From my admittedly short experience with it, I would say it's just a matter of getting used to the different feel. If you think the B&M has a stiff feel to it, you should try driving my Cobra with a Pro 5.0 shifter. Now that is a "notchy" shifter. Very positive shifts but definitely a different feel from the factory piece. You need to be very precise and the effort is much higher. For a street car, I actually like the feel of the B&M in the T-bird over the Pro 5.0 in the Cobra. Yeah, I know it's not a fair comparison as they are used in two totally different applications. Put both on the drag strip and I'm sure the Pro 5.0 would be a better choice.

Last edited:
Bias Springs

My Ripper came with 2 bias springs. One light, one heavy. You can use one, the other, or Both like I did. I suppose you could also use none, but how horrible would that be. I tried each spring seperately, & found them singley ineffective in getting the shifter in line with 3rd. gear on a speed shift. Using Both springs gave me the feel I was looking for.

Want to make the Ripper throw even shorter? Use a Hurst or B&M T-handle! Both are shorter than the OEM leather knob. Remember your physics though, what happens when you shorten the effort side of a lever & fulcrum?

68COUGAR

The shifter I bought did not come with an assortment of springs. And there was no mention of changing springs anywhere in the instructions. As I said before, the greatest improvement I found over the stock shifter was the 2-3 shift. I don't think you could find a much better spring setup than the one this shifter came with. When shifting from 2nd to 3rd all that is necessary is to push forward and the shifter does the rest. The more I drive it the more comfortable it feels. I didn't try to start out in 3rd gear even once today. :D

Back