Well, looks like I got burned

bustedbird

Well, looks like I got burned (UPDATED!!!!)

I sent $2,500 to some guy in Indiana over 2 weeks ago, for a 1990 SC, that was supposedly pretty much rebuilt. The conversation over the last few weeks has been great, prompt replys, phone calls etc. But now, nothin! He stated that the car was to be shipped out the 29th or 30th of June then he changed it to July 6th. Well, no car, no money, and best of all, no response. I have contemplated calling the cops, but are there any other ways that I may be able to go about this?

Last edited:
ThunderTurkey said:
:eek: HOW was the money sent??? WIRED to an account, I hope?? :confused:

No, certified bank draft. I have all the stubs, reciepts, copys of the cashed check, and his signature from when he picked it up at the post office. I'm screwed!

you can think on a positive note, a family medical emergency could of happened, or that person could of got into a medical problem. i'd try to call the neighbor :) go to whitepages.com do a reverse phone look up, get his address call 411 with the address of his neightbor and ask for a phone # ?and ask the neighbor if this person is around ? you never know what could of happened, hopefully its something that is good for you and hes not burning you. hopefully that other person is ok also.

Zaba Search is awesome!! It's pretty crazy for sure. Do you know what shipping company he was going to use? If you do, give them a call and ask if they have anything coming your way or scheduled to be picked up in that area.

Thomas

where and how did you find and pay for the car? That could make a difference if you wanted to get your money back, or get the car.

NDS said:
where and how did you find and pay for the car? That could make a difference if you wanted to get your money back, or get the car.

I got a certified bank draft, and sent it through the U.S. Mail, priority express, have all reciepts, stubs, etc. Have a copy of the cashed check with his signature, as well as his signature from the post office. I called the area police as a last ditch effort, we will see if that works. One way or another I will get my money or the car. Even if I have to take some days off work, fly there, I will get my money/car. I hope that it doesn't come to that, but I work hard for my money, and I am not going to let a punk take it from me. I found the car on the classified section of this site.

bustedbird said:
Even if I have to take some days off work, fly there, I will get my money/car. I hope that it doesn't come to that, but I work hard for my money, and I am not going to let a punk take it from me. I found the car on the classified section of this site.
:mad: Okay ... I think we need to form some sort of committee where someone in each State(Chapter?) is willing to help facilitate a Sale, if needed. Personally, I abandoned an AWESOME deal in Colorado because I was unsure what would be awaiting me once I got off the plane with the money. IN FACT ..... I was about to buy BUSTEDBIRDS car awhile ago, but had a 'premonition' that he might just hit me in the head and run into the Wyoming Hills to hide!(naw, just kidding). ANYway, if anyone is interested in ANYthing in Phoenix(right, like there ever IS anything?) I would be willing to help make SURE things are on the up&up! ;) - Just a thought! :D

ANYway, if anyone is interested in ANYthing in Phoenix(right, like there ever IS anything?) I would be willing to help make SURE things are on the up&up! ;) - Just a thought! :D[/QUOTE]

I agree, the people on this site are the only reason my previous car was in running condition. They gave me an incredible amount of help and info on these cars. If I could assist in the sale of a car for a fellow member, it still wouldn't be enough to repay the kindness and compassion that I have seen on this site. :)

That's one h*** of an idea! With someone NOT personally involved in the sale making sure that the member buyer is getting what he paid for, we would have far fewer problems with these sales. I'm up for repping Eastern Iowa.

things are not so bad for you..

You did do something right....You used the us mail. Go to your post office and tell them what has happened. They will do an info check and get back to you. They take a very dim veiw on people who rip off others with their service. Talk to them, they are there to help you...They will get you either your new car or someone in jail....Good luck and get your butt down to the post office asap.............Rich

Thanks to everybody that contributed ideas. I think that the matter may be resolved. Rich, my next stop was the post office. I didn't use a us postal money order, but I did require that he sign for it. Again thanks everybody, and If anybody needs help with any car in the surrounding area, look me up :)

...good to hear,hope it works out ok for you.....I'm still waiting for this guy in Livonia,MI to make things right with me......and you're right,it does suck to get burned.......good luck.
z

I don't know about you guys but I like looking at cars.... if there's one in my general area you're interested in let me know and I'll go check it and the seller out for you.

Did this deal ever go down. Hope it turned out good.
I am willing to look at cars in my area for people that might need help. I am a little picky though.

iceblue said:
Did this deal ever go down. Hope it turned out good.
I am willing to look at cars in my area for people that might need help. I am a little picky though.

Yea the problem has been solved between him and I. It was a series of bizzare events that only could happen to me. The shipping company is the problem now. They have been delayed three times now, couldn't meet D.O.T.
requirements, busted alternator belt, rain storms etc.

It is on the trailer now, but I don't plan to see it for another year :D Thanks everybody for the concern.

bustedbird said:
Yea the problem has been solved between him and I. It was a series of bizzare events that only could happen to me. The shipping company is the problem now. They have been delayed three times now, couldn't meet D.O.T.
requirements, busted alternator belt, rain storms etc.

It is on the trailer now, but I don't plan to see it for another year :D Thanks everybody for the concern.

I'm telling ya, these cars and the people that own them are jinxed. :eek: :D Glad it's finally looking better for you.

Back