help please

5speedxr7

as i stated in my other post i'm looking for lifters and other valve train stuff.
but i cant find the right lifters, the ones that i pulled out of the car are a hydraulic lifter with a roller bearing on the bottom (one is no good)
but the only lifters i can find that are suppose to be for my motor are a hydraulic flat tappet lifter.
:confused:
i'm stumped

1988 and newer 3.8L engines were all hydraulic roller lifters. They are the same part as used in the 5.0L V8 engines. OE Ford number for cross-reference is F2SZ 6500 A.

If the local parts store person is having trouble finding roller lifters for the V6, just ask for ones from a 1986 or newer passenger car 5.0L.

cheers
Ed N.

Unless the bad lifter ground a groove into the cam it should be good to go. From what I've observed and read, if you just replace your lifters (I would recommend doing them all) you should not need to replace the rest of the valve train, ie push rods, rockers etc.

Alot of people say you have to replace all the components, but to me from my observations, its the parts of the rocker itself that needs to be consistent, in other words, the mounting fulcrum needs to match its rocker or it will shred apart.

Alot of folks have also declared that using roller rockers do not make a wit of difference to your engines performance. Well, they are partially right, as I don't see you getting 10 hp more at the wheels, BUT where it DOES make a difference is how much heat is generated............ especially if your after ultimate performance.

Ultimately its your choice how far you want to go and spend. If its a daily driver with the odd run down the strip, then replace your lifters (if no cam damage)........ but if your going for the 12 second best, then I'd say replace everything with the best ;).

Just my 0.02 cents worth

Frit

Thanks
i'm glad to hear that I dont need to replace the cam too. i was just worried that when the rocker lossened off that it would hafe damaged the cam by banging the lifter up and down on it.

one other question. on the side of the lifters there is a small hole for oil. dose it matter which way this hole faces (either in or out?) some were one way and some were the other way.
thanks agian for the help guys
Josh

It doesn`t matter which way the hole faces.

I have a complete set of lifter from a 5.0, they are used but in great shape (16) I might be interested in selling if you decide to buy used ones.

Garett

Back