AC does not work

godavid

SCCoA Member
92 SC with auto. 123,000 miles. The AC clutch and cooling fan do not work. The fuses are fine. Any ideas would really help thanks

godavid said:
92 SC with auto. 123,000 miles. The AC clutch and cooling fan do not work. The fuses are fine. Any ideas would really help thanks

Think it lost its charge my have had a leak clutch wont kick on unless its fully charged may check that

there's a low pressure switch near the acculm. jump it out and see if the AC clutch engages. If it does your low on your charge R22/ R134A if it dosen't you have other issues. But this should be a good start

Jim Demmitt Jr said:
Think it lost its charge my have had a leak clutch wont kick on unless its fully charged may check that
will the cooling fan not work if the clutch does not kick in?

Cooling Fan Could Be Shot!

godavid said:

It's possible that the AC system is low on refrigerant (R-12) AND the cooling fan is not working because it's bad. I know because mine failed...you could wire the fan to battery directly to check it. BE CAREFUL WORKING AROUND THE FAN AND FRONT DRESS! This is dangerous, if you're not confident that you can repair it, leave it to someone who can.
Just my 2 cents...
Bill

Billabong089 said:
Sorry to hijack, but is it bad to mix R134a with the old regfrigant? I think its what R22?

Its R12 and yes, it be bad to mix...... You can get a conversion done where they evacuate the old, update the o-rings and a few other things and then put in the R134a. Generally, if your system doesn't have a problem then updating to the new doesn't cost that much.

Drawback.... yup, the R134 doesn't get the system as cold as the R12 would.....

Frit

Billabong089 said:
Sorry to hijack, but is it bad to mix R134a with the old regfrigant? I think its what R22?
Its not good for the compressor to do that. R12 and r134a use different a different oil and unless you are using an ester oil, it will not be circulated and the compressor will dry out and sieze up.. :eek: Pick one or the other and the proper oil.

no a/c, can you help

Tin-Knocker105 said:
there's a low pressure switch near the acculm. jump it out and see if the AC clutch engages. If it does your low on your charge R22/ R134A if it dosen't you have other issues. But this should be a good start

my fan and a/c does not work. any ideas?

You need a EVTM manual to track down the electrical, and your problem. Look for one in the forsale section, it's hard to work a problem like this without one.

Back