Power Window Problems..

TealThunder

I'm not sure how I go about fixing this...

When you press the button, you can head the window motor goin, but you can hear it "missing." You can hear it trying to push the window up, or down, but the window doesnt move. Hopefully I explaind this right..

TealThunder said:
I'm not sure how I go about fixing this...

When you press the button, you can head the window motor goin, but you can hear it "missing." You can hear it trying to push the window up, or down, but the window doesnt move. Hopefully I explaind this right..

There are plastic bearings in the gear assy that break and wear out. They can be replaced :D . You have to remove the window motor and take off the cover on the gear. I get mine from the Boneyard..

Tony63
90 SC (Out for head gaskets)
91 5.0
94 3.8 LX (Out for Trans rebuild)
95 4.6
70 Mustang
90 Jeep

YOu have 3 screws that hold the motor on...take the door panel off then take the speaker out and stick your arm in to get to the motor...there are three small holes where you can look in and see the screws that hold the motor..take those out and pull the motor out and disconnect the power connection...take the small "C" ring off the small shaft next to the small gear...take the gear off...use a small torx screwdriver to take the plate off...inside you will see the crumbled up pieces of plastic dowells..take them out take the large nylon gear out and replace the dowels with 7/16" nuts..that are 1/4" thick..grease the hell out of it and put it all back together..

Last edited:
TealThunder said:
how do I get to the window motor? Its kinda...behind the door skin, on both sides? Is there any technique?

Take off the door panel- in the middle you will see 3 8mm bolts- (Take out the speaker also) Take them out and the motor will come free. Take off the SMALL "C" clip on the gear and take out the small torx bit bolt on the cap of the gear assy. You will probibly see small broken peices of plastic. Those were the gears. When you get new ones they are not round, But somewhat oval shaped. Clean out ALL the peices and install the new ones. (You will not be able to put the gear in if they are not flush with the top. I have had to file them sometimes to make them fit. But not often. I lube mine with alittle grease. Install in rev. order.
Hope that helps. Sounds worse then what it is.. I heard you can buy these at a parts store,but I never have.

Tony63
91 5.0
95 4.6
70 Mustang
90 Jeep

okay, thnx for the quick replys. Another dumb question from an SC Newb.. the windo can just stay where it is? (Almost all the way closed), and it wont fall down, and shatter? (I know you guys are laughing at my stupidity.) :D

TealThunder said:
okay, thnx for the quick replys. Another dumb question from an SC Newb.. the windo can just stay where it is? (Almost all the way closed), and it wont fall down, and shatter? (I know you guys are laughing at my stupidity.) :D

It will stay.., I have not had one fall.. And the motor will go back in without any problems..

Tony63
91 5.0
95 4.6
70 Mustang
90 Jeep

tony63 said:
It will stay.., I have not had one fall.. And the motor will go back in without any problems..

Tony63
91 5.0
95 4.6
70 Mustang
90 Jeep

Even if the window falls, it won't shatter. I'm current dealing with the horizontal crossmember not being attached tothe window or X arms. I have to manually move the window up and down. Less than fun :)

That said, how easy is it to replace the plastic piece that slides inside the horizontal arm? It broke completely. Do I need an entire intact X setup or can I just replace the plastic piece? Sorry if that's vague.

i wouldnt add nuts to it. I think someone said that those bushing are there just in case. Hopefully it doesnt happen. If a limb of a person or animal should get stuck so it can slip and prevent the window from cutting the limb off. Something like that. But glad you got it working.

The next thing in line that would go is the nylon gear I can't say if that would fail on a pet or childs limb or finger..I'd say from there on be carefull when putting up the window with pets or kids in the car...I've known peeps that had the nuts in there longer than they had the original plastic dowels and never had a problem with them breaking...so it's a matter of choice I guess...Just make sure to grease the crap out of it... ;)

Last edited:
NorthrnSCownr said:
I did the same thing a while back...I didnt have the plastic, so I used some spare nuts that were around.
Tom
Click

That was my point with "use the 1/4" thick nuts"...no sawing... :D

Do me a favor...let me know in the next few weeks how the gear works not packed with grease....I'm just curious if in fact we can get away with that..or if it will eventually bind up...

thanks Rick

Back