check engine light going crazy!

wigglesrewind

hey guys ive been having some wierd problems in my SC lately. last week sometime the cam sensor quit working. i drove home with no tach and the CEL on and when i went to fire it up in the morning it ran fine...no CEL, tach functioned and all. so i figured id better replace the cam sensor even if its working now cuz who knows when it will quit again. so i bought the part but havent put it in yet. that friday i went to the track and ran a pathetic 15.6 in my sc. put down some hard passes shifting at around 5k. the car ran great. earlier this week my check engine light starts popping on and off like crazy. couldnt put any pattern to it or anything. just seemed like it would go on and off whenever. i went to autozone to get the codes scanned and all he threw was a 111 - all systems functioning, no faults detected.

any one wanna take a stab at whats going on here? im gonna change the cam sensor tomorrow and disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes and see if that helps.

any help is appreciated,

-josh-

I would change the cam sensor as soon as possible. I had a problems for MONTHS with it coming on, going off. If it rained, it would go off. Going over a pothole might turn it on or off. The codes where mentioning TPS but after reading some of the expert's postings here, pointed to the cam sensor.

It seems that if it is bad, it will still work ok if the throttle variations are steady. Punching it makes it have to guess what it should be doning. I started to think I had transmission problems for a while. shifting to the wrong gear (auto), surging etc.

When I finally changed the cam sensor, I could see corrosion on one of the contacts. Put in the new one (with a good bath of dielectric grease) and haven't had the problem since.

Good Luck

Back