Belt Tensioners

leeklimala

How can you tell if you need new belt tensioner pullies? A guy at a repair shop threw in the comment that I am about to need a new pulley. He said the repeating oval pattern on the pulley was a sign that it was worn down and I should get it replaced. Any truth?

leeklimala said:
How can you tell if you need new belt tensioner pullies? A guy at a repair shop threw in the comment that I am about to need a new pulley. He said the repeating oval pattern on the pulley was a sign that it was worn down and I should get it replaced. Any truth?

The stock pullies are plastic and eventually have "flat" spots causing an interesting buzzing sound from under the hood........

So I'd say yeah, you need new ones.... I replaced mine with Dayco steel pullies, but there's alot of different ones out there that you can get.

Frit

The flat spots they develope will also cause them to bounce up and down as they are turning. After installing the steel ones, things got a lot quieter and the pulleys stay in one place and just spin.
--Fred

This is slightly off the original topic but I was wondering if the steel pullies take more power to turn due to a higher weight than the stock plastic pullies. Or since they are an idler this doesn't matter? I know the difference would be minor but I'm just curious.

Kurt

XR7Kurt said:
This is slightly off the original topic but I was wondering if the steel pullies take more power to turn due to a higher weight than the stock plastic pullies. Or since they are an idler this doesn't matter? I know the difference would be minor but I'm just curious.

Kurt

The only time that it would be an issue is when the bearings go causing the engine to bog down before the belt goes, and that goes for steel or plastic.

Other than that. You may be talking a couple of ounces at best of weight added to the car, and I doubt you'd find a dyno or drag strip thats accurate enough to show you the difference ;).

So, go with the steels one and be happy :D .

Frit

O'reilly's and I think Advance...I got a 90mm 8 rib pulley from O'Reilly's for like 20 bucks...I'm using it for my supercharger tensioner pulley..

Stephen

the-big-e said:
Whare can I get the Dayco pullies?

Here's a thread that lists 2 part nunbers. I used the 89016 on all 3 with no issues.

Dayco part numbers

I would suspect any auto parts place like napa etc can get it for you. Just give them that part number and you should be good to go.

Frit

Back