Swapping Differential - Are There ABS Sensor Issues I Should Be Aware Of?

MrBlvd

I'm getting ready to change out my differential assembly. Are there any issues associated with the ABS sensors I need to be aware of? I did a search on the ABS sensors and saw lots of posts regarding the "fragile" nature of the sensor but most if not all discussion centered on the front sensors. The used differential I have (Thanks Ken) has the sensors installed with the wires cut. My working assumption is I have to remove these and replace them with the ones in my current differential. I'm also under the impression locktite was used to install the sensor. If it is the permanent type then its time to get the propane torch out but I'm concerned about the effect of the heat on the sensor. Anyway, I know several of you have already been down this road and can give me some pointers .... No need to reinvent the wheel

While I'm "here" I have a couple other questions ...
1. I'm changing the axle and pinion seals. My plan on the pinion is to mark the current location of the pinion nut and then to retorque it to the same spot. It is my understanding this will prevent me from having to get a new crush washer. Any thoughts on this?

2. Prior to installing the differntial I'm giving it a nice cleaning exteranally .. not sure where this thing was used but good lord I removed layers of rust and gunk ... So much so I hope the case holds up! Anyway, I'm also planning on removing the back cover and spraying the gears, springs, trak-loc clutches, etc... real good with some parts cleaner ... any thoughts on this ... only downside I can think off might be damage to the trak loc clutch material ... It is my understaning the case seal is only rtv and that I can remove the cover w/o affecting the gear spacing/alignment

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above as I still have a lot to learn :)
Thanks,
David

The rear ABS sensors simply unbolt from the centersection. They aren't nearly as much trouble as trying to change the front ones.

-Rod

Back