1990 trans. problem

gar429boss

please help me out. I was driving along and the trans felt like it came out of O.D. then in to drive. When I got out of the fast lane went to slow the car felt like it was in drive. It will go in drive and O.D. ? in N. you can rev the engine it will try to move. If you put it in r. it will kill the engine. Only move in d or O.D. put it in 1. kills the engine. I think the torque convertor is in lockup. Can some one tell me what my problem is . Do I need A new trans! Is it e.c. problems. Trans. fluid looks good car has about 96000 miles. was running great.

if it was your torque converter, the car would have died in drive too. it sounds like a pinched piston seal is staying enguaged. that would apply a certain member of the planet set, then wen you put it in reverse, it cancels itself out and dies. but thats just one scenario, the problem could also lie in the valve body.

sounds like tranny rebuilding time :(

where are ya located? if ya wanna take it out and send it to me, i can rebuild it performancewise for ya at a fraction of a shops pircefor a normal rebuild.

lemme know

aaron

Same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago, only it would die going into any gear and it made a hellofa noise. I thought it was the TC so I replaced it which cured the noise but when I started the car on the hoist, I could put it in gears but when I pushed the brakes, the car would die. So I put in another trans/TC and 24,000 gvw trans cooler and its all good now. Keep us posted.

Back