Fuel pump change questions.

layinthesmack31

Hey guys. Well i got a 190lph walbro fuel pump i bought from a friend. I want to go and install it since the tank is about empty. But my Question is do i need a wiring harness cause after reading mn12performance directions say i need one. I have heard that it should go right in with no modifications. So i just want to know what to expect. Also where can i get a new ring gasket for the tank? the pump i have came with a few little band clamps and plastic connectors and what looks like a piece of rubber fuel line that is like 4 inches long with a bend in the center so that each end is offset from the other. And thats all the stuff i got. I just am kinda confused about wiring it up. please any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Matt

layinthesmack31 said:
Hey guys. Well i got a 190lph walbro fuel pump i bought from a friend. I want to go and install it since the tank is about empty. But my Question is do i need a wiring harness cause after reading mn12performance directions say i need one. I have heard that it should go right in with no modifications. So i just want to know what to expect. Also where can i get a new ring gasket for the tank? the pump i have came with a few little band clamps and plastic connectors and what looks like a piece of rubber fuel line that is like 4 inches long with a bend in the center so that each end is offset from the other. And thats all the stuff i got. I just am kinda confused about wiring it up. please any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Matt

Hi Matt,

I just want to ask you if you understand that the Whole Tank needs to be removed from under the car..and then the fuel pump removed from the top of the tank, and then replace with your new walbro?..

I am not sure if you understood that or not, only reason I asked..

the new 190 Walbro, is going to be replaced inside the tank itself..

Last edited:
hey
yea i know i gotta drop the tank but what i have a question on is on the top of the fuel pump itself is like a female end of a plug for a wiring harness and i wasnt sure if i had to buy the male end to attach the pump correctly? but yes i do know i need to drop the tank. Oh and any tips would help cause i gotta do it using jack stands. but at least the fuel tank is empty haha. oh and also where can i get new straps to replace the old ones that hold tha tank in place? thanks for the input.

Matt

I think both of my pumps came with the harness that connects to the pump itself, but I'm not 100% sure, I think they did though. I had a friend install mine, but he never had trouble with either of my SC's. Both have 190 lph walbro pumps in them.

layinthesmack31 said:
hey
yea i know i gotta drop the tank but what i have a question on is on the top of the fuel pump itself is like a female end of a plug for a wiring harness and i wasnt sure if i had to buy the male end to attach the pump correctly? but yes i do know i need to drop the tank. Oh and any tips would help cause i gotta do it using jack stands. but at least the fuel tank is empty haha. oh and also where can i get new straps to replace the old ones that hold tha tank in place? thanks for the input.

Matt

Hey Matt,

Thats cool you already knew that, I was not trying to insult you, just so you know..

Anyway.. I actually have to do all this my self yet.. what I did was went to a junk yard and bought a complete 1994 tank with straps and all.

The straps do not look the greatest either. I think I read something on here once that they were hard to come buy new, or expensive I am not sure, but I might look into this tomarrow anyway... If I do.. I will let you know if the dealership has them available.. and how much..

I have a brand new pump assembley that is in a box. If you need pictures before you feel comfortable tearing into yours let me know matt.. I will be happy to take some of the new pump for ya..

I wish I was of more help, but like I said, I haven't done mine YET.. hehehe

Hi Matt,
I saw your post and me and my brother just installed my fuel pump today in my 90sc in 2 hours without pulling the whole tank from underneath the car with nothing but jack stands properly placed and a hydraulic jack. The only advantages i can see from taking the whole tank down and disconnecting all hoses is when you replace the pump it is a little harder to line up the gasket and sending unit. It will take a little patience and vision but mine went in in a few minutes. mn12performance.com will show you all the details involved in there how to section. You will need 2" of hp hose, 2 clamps, male connector, new filter, new gasket for top of tank, if all you have is the pump. You may want to check out autoperformanceengineering.com or mn12 and see if they will sell you just the kit of accessories that come along with there pumps so you will have everything you need. I hope this can help you.

If you have the exhaust out, you do not need to remove the tank completely. It tilts down enough to allow installation. You will have to unplug the one wiring harness supprt band/bracket thingy to allow enough slack in the wiring harness. IIRC it is snapped into one of the holes in the tank shield, but YMMV.

My fuel pump came with a little harness adapter. And a new tank "o" ring.

BTW, nothing stink like disaster more than working under a jacked up car with gas vapors, wires, and metal tools surrounding you. I must have double checked that I really had disconnected my battery at least ten times...

If you have problems with straps, you could always attempt to fabricate them yourself, or take the specifications to a machine shop/metal shop and have new ones made...

If your pump did not come with the proper size seal you can get it at your local Ford dealer for a few bucks. They should have it in stock.

I bought a new locking ring that came with the gasket at Autozone, it was in stock. I've never looked into new tank straps but the should be cheap and plentiful at junk yards or through guys here. I believe on of the straps on the later model tanks is part of the tank itself.
I don't know about the in tank wiring, but you may want to be prepared or at least be aware that you may need to replace the small wiring harness outside of the tank as it is not uncommon for the plastic on the connectors to be ruined from exposure to gas if there has been leakage through the top seal.

You Walbro is probably not plug & play because I think the Ford pump just uses 2 spade connectors. Your best bet is probably to remove the sending unit and pump hanger assembly, rinse it down, cut the existing wires, and solder in the new connector. You need to use heatshrink tubing over the connectors as well. I would recommend 2 layers of heatshrink. Do not kid yourself that electrical tape will be okay ... it won't.

You guys do realize that this post is over 4 years old, don't you?
Of course, that's why I posted as soon as I saw it, thinking this guys been waiting for years, I must help now!:rolleyes:
Oh, well maybe some good info added for searches on the subject.

Back