a little help

Kyler

My Cougar has 164,XXX kms on it, I'm not an expert but am wondering if anyone can suggest some things I should watch out for or have looked at on the car for this milage? Also Ford told me my supercharger belt tensioner is worn and needs to be replaced soon, can someone explain to me how this works and how to tell when it's worn?

I apologize if this is a noobi question but I don't know anyone locally who is too keen on maintaining these cars :confused:

thanks

give the belt a pull...

Kyler said:
My Cougar has 164,XXX kms on it, I'm not an expert but am wondering if anyone can suggest some things I should watch out for or have looked at on the car for this milage? Also Ford told me my supercharger belt tensioner is worn and needs to be replaced soon, can someone explain to me how this works and how to tell when it's worn?

I apologize if this is a noobi question but I don't know anyone locally who is too keen on maintaining these cars :confused:

thanks
If it is eazy to move then it is worn out, also if it dances a lot[without music that is] when the engine is running this also is a sign... What to look for, just keep an eye open for things that might be wearing out like your belts & hoses. One more thing, flush your cooling system.. Anti freeze will attack your engine if it gets out of wack.........Rich

Any of the tensioners with grooves is an indication of wear. Since they are plastic they tend to wear fasters. They are flat pulleys to begin with. You do not want the supercharger tensioner to freeze, trust me. The supercharger belt is expensive to replace as it is. Mine froze with a new belt, and chewed the belt to pieces.

I would recommend going to www.supercoupeperformance.com and pick up the steel tensioner pulleys. The tensioner pulleys are 25 bucks a piece and they will pretty much last the life of the car.

164K Km...roughly 85K miles...Valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, HEAD GASKETS. I would also say look at the throttle body coolant hoses. They do break, although seldom, they do break. Coolant is a big thing, as Pro Street Rich pointed out, regular coolant flushes will prolong the inevitable...Head Gaskets.

Open the exhaust, it will also prolong the inevitable.

You have come to a great group of people that will help in anyway imaginable. Don't feel that a question is "Newbie", if you don't know, ask. I would recommend using the SEARCH button for most questions, if you cannot find it there, then ask.

Stephen

thanks very much guys, I do appreciate the help and being able to come to this site when in need :)

Back