Anyone use POR-15?

fastsc92

This stuff is just amazing. Goes on easy, dries super super hard with a high gloss shine. Stops rust on contact, and will never chip off. Kinda expensive, but well worth every penny. DO NOT get this stuff on your skin. It does not come off with solvent of any kind. I plan to do my whole underneith of the car with this, about halway done now....

i think is like $36 a quart. It brushes on, or it can be used in a spray gun. It stands for Paint Over Rust. There is little or no service prep, just brush it on and let it dry. When it dries its hard as a rock like an epoxy paint. However, its not brittle at all and never will chip, crack, or peel. It chemically bonds to metal surfaces and porus materials and stops rust thats already present and for future. They have a whole line of products depending on your application. I just used their gloss black and it works the b@lls

I remember seeing that stuff on Trucks TV show a couple years ago. I've always wondered where they sell it.POR= Paint Over Rust. Looks like good stuff!

POR-15 is a great rust paint. I used it in the engine bay and under carriage. It is however sensitive to UV so if it is exposed to sunlight you need to put a topcoat on it. It faded real quick with the hood off. Still just as strong just changes colour. They make some other excellent coating products also. I have used their high heat paint for exhaust manifolds and a clearcoat over polished aluminum. Goes on with a brush or can be sprayed on. click here for their products. I am real happy with them.

Craig

I use POR on the calipers-you have to seal up the piston, bleeder screw, banjo bolt and bracket bolt holes, it works wonderfully for this purpose. You can find POR at the Eastwood Company and other auto restoration supply houses.

Don't recommend using it over painted surfaces. It needs to be applied directly to the metal/rust to be effective. This means stripping the paint somehow before applying.

I agree with Dave, however I got some of their metal ready surface prep that is a self etcher. They recommened using this if painting over any smooth or painted surfaces. So far so good.....

fastsc92 said:
I agree with Dave, however I got some of their metal ready surface prep that is a self etcher. They recommened using this if painting over any smooth or painted surfaces. So far so good.....

It's not that it won't stick, its just that OE paint is bad about lifting and/or allowing moisture to "run" underneath it. If you pull your carpet you'll see what I mean. The OE paint will all still be in tact but it will have rust underneath it.

Also what happens when you have a much tougher product over a weak one is that the top coat will sometime pull large flakes of the weak paint off leaving large areas of metal exposed. Probably nothing to worry about, but it can happen. Just wanted to make it clear that the real benefit of the POR 15 products are their adhesion directly to metal and rust and their ability to displace moisture.

XR7 Dave said:
It's not that it won't stick, its just that OE paint is bad about lifting and/or allowing moisture to "run" underneath it. If you pull your carpet you'll see what I mean. The OE paint will all still be in tact but it will have rust underneath it.

Also what happens when you have a much tougher product over a weak one is that the top coat will sometime pull large flakes of the weak paint off leaving large areas of metal exposed. Probably nothing to worry about, but it can happen. Just wanted to make it clear that the real benefit of the POR 15 products are their adhesion directly to metal and rust and their ability to displace moisture.
like my paint buddy used to always tell me its like building a concrete house on a wood foundation :D

Just restored the fuel tank outta my 59 F100...It was BADDDD so there was alot of prep work "Rocks and solvent" to get all the chit outta the tank and prep it for the metal ready and then the sealer...

I was also floored at how strong the stuff was...If nothing else my tank is stronger as well as rust free. It reminds me of the spray on bed liner material. Anyways....Yes it is a great product. I have some leftover on the shelf too....

Brad

Back