Headliner

tbirdfan1993

I don't know if this is a technical question, but do you have to move the sunroof at all when changing the headliner? Please don't think I'm a moron, I just have never done it before.

Nope, the sunroof stays in.

And hey, the whole point of this forum is to get your SC questions answered. So, you're not a moron. :D

-Rod

Carefull when you do the cap that goes over the motor assembly..too thick it won't fit right....trust me.... :rolleyes:

by the way, wich type of glue and procedure do you guys recommend, I recently did my 81 LTD´s headliner and it didnt stick well, it lasted about 3 months and it began to fall again, I used spraycan glue. :p , and I also trying to do my 92 SC´s headliner. Thanks

I used an adhesive specifically made for automotive headliners. If you do a google search on the net, you'll find plenty of places that sell headliner foam, fabric, and adhesive.

Here's a couple pics of the headliner I did for my 90 XR7:

showcar%20headliner%201.jpg

showcar%20headliner%202.jpg

I put the stripes in the headliner to match the stripes in the paint on the body of the car.

-Rod

looks really great, how do you removed the old headliner?, the last one I did in my LTD already had the old one out. Also some upolsthery guys have told me to let it get sticky and the put the fabric on, and others told me to just drop it just after puting some glue, I have tried both and no luck :confused: ,I want to do it myself because there is no better satisfaction than doing things yourself, and probably some thing require practice :p

Well, you have to remove the rear seat, sail panels, dome light, sunvisors, and two push pins in the rear, then the headliner will come out.

I spray both the fabric and the headliner backing with the adhesive, wait about 2 minutes for it to tack up, then work the fabric onto the headliner. I recommend doing it in sections. Remember that once the fabric touches the headliner backing, it isn't moving, so make sure you don't let the fabric wrinkle when it lays onto the backing.

By the way, it looks pretty horrible in the picture (resized the picture and messed up the quality), but the headliner looks great in person.

-Rod

Rod,

What's your set up in your ceiling? I see the map lights, but what's all the toggles for? It all looks pretty cool. Take care.

There are four switches up there for the line lock, the auxilary cooling fan, the driving lights, and the "I'm not sure what I'm going to use this switch for yet" switch. :D

-Rod

I used to replace a lot of headliners when I worksed as an installer. A lot of fabric shops carry headliner material in different colors. I use contact cement and spray it out of paint gun.

To remove the old material I tear away the old stuff and use a wire brush to carefully remove the foam from the backing board. Once you have all the old stuff off then spray both the headliner material and the backing board and allow them to dry for about 15 minutes then working from one end the the other smooth the headliner material onto the backing. You don't have to spray it all at once you can start at one end and slowly work to the other end, but you need to make sure you wait 15 min. before laying them together.

For the headliner and material usually only costs about $25. Make sure not to use that crap in a can or you will have to do it over in about a year.

Jeff

Back