manual trans swap- who's done it?

Jake

I'm wanting to know who's done it and how much more you like the M5R2 over the auto? I haven't driven a 5 speed SC before and was thinking about doing the swap but need some first hand opinions.

I'm one of the guys who will tell you not to do it. Especially with your car. But thats just me. Is there a problem with your auto? Or you just wanting something different? If you haven't driven one yet, you haven't got to experience the notorious wheel hop. Luckily my SC doesn't do it badly. But... between the two of my SC's, I prefer driving the auto. I prefer racing the auto. But for just cruising around the 5-speed is fun.

I suggest going to a meet and driving a 5-speed SC, they are fun, but if you want to go fast keep the auto in there. Look at Bill McNeil's old setup. He had a boat load of power and struggled to get the car into the 12's. In an auto car w/ the right convertor and gears he'd have been in the 11's. Sure I bet a 12 second 5-speed is fun as hell to drive, but I'd rather go faster.

Scott Long said:
I suggest going to a meet and driving a 5-speed SC, they are fun, but if you want to go fast keep the auto in there. Look at Bill McNeil's old setup. He had a boat load of power and struggled to get the car into the 12's. In an auto car w/ the right convertor and gears he'd have been in the 11's. Sure I bet a 12 second 5-speed is fun as hell to drive, but I'd rather go faster.

Lies.

Dave Dalke, Gary Kuhn, and Dan Sly have all proven a 5-speed can be just as quick or quicker than an Auto. Granted they are trickier to launch, but if the only thing you are interested in is drag racing, an SC is completely the wrong car anyway.

Automatics are good for traffic jams and old women only!

You don't see Coy Miller racing a 5-speed.

And if you really want to get serious about drag racing an SC you would put a solid rear axle in it w/ 31 spline shafts and say "forget the fastest list rules". But that's just my take on things.

The 5 speed is the way the car should be driven. It's a gas!! BUT, Scott is right when he says that if you haven't driven one before, do it, and check it out before you do anything else. Especially before you put the work into the conversion.

I wouldn't have anything else in my SC, but that doesn't mean there aren't times when I get tired of sitting in traffic with it. Make sure it is what you want first.

That being said, if all you're going to do is race with it, then do it. You can always go back to the manual if you change your mind.

ira

If I lived closer I'd let you drive my 2 cars so you could compare a 5-speed w/ the ripper shifter and an automatic w/ the lentech valve body.

The auto shifts much faster than my 5-speed ever could even if I jammed gears w/o the clutch.

And don't get me wrong I don't hate my 5-speed. It was recently rebuilt, new clutch, new synchro's, ripper shifter, new master and slave cyl., new throw-out and pilot bearings. Its a fun car.

But I think if I'd have owned my automatic car first, I don't know if I'd have bought a second SC. Maybe, maybe not.

When you get full control over your AOD and can make it hold any gear, its just as good as a 5-speed, shifts faster, and don't have to work the clutch on hills or in traffic jams. But the stock aod is a piece of trash so I can see why most of you 5-speed guys like your car. Go drive a lentech equipped SC and I guarantee you won't hate automatics anymore. I was never impressed with a stock ford AOD or 4R70W, but I did enjoy my 5-speed more until recently.

Even though I prefer the auto, I wouldn't give up my black SC, not gonna happen.

Last edited:
Scott Long said:
You don't see Coy Miller racing a 5-speed.

And if you really want to get serious about drag racing an SC you would put a solid rear axle in it w/ 31 spline shafts and say "forget the fastest list rules". But that's just my take on things.

I don't see 90% of whats in Coys car in any other SC on the road either, not a real representative vehicle.

I love the 5spd, no way I would get an auto. Too many problems with the ford autos. Look at all the fastest 5spds, what do they have done to them. Rebuild them with stock parts and put a new clutch in them and they will handle whatever you want to give them. My 5spd has almost 90k on it, never been rebuilt, stock replacement clutch, more than 60 passes at the track, and it just smiles at me when I launch at 4k with slicks on it :D

Scott make a very good case for the automatic. I have never driven one with a Lentech and I imagine it makes a very big difference.

Still, around town, just cruising around on a Sunday night :eek: I don't know. I guess since I can't make the comparison there are only two things I can do;
1. Shut up, which I can do, and
2. Tell the wife I have a very good reason to go out and get another SC, which I'm afraid to do!! :eek:

Hmm, not much of a choice there.............

ira

i have an auto that is my daily driver, but i would never want my SC auto. its just so much more fun cruising with a 5speed. i've been caught in a couple traffic jams in it though, and it really sucked.

Well I have everything needed to do the swap minus driveshaft and flywheel but I think I'm gonna get an Art Carr with the Lentech valve body and 9.5" converter. Thanks for the info.

Jake said:
I'm wanting to know who's done it and how much more you like the M5R2 over the auto? I haven't driven a 5 speed SC before and was thinking about doing the swap but need some first hand opinions.

Having had the swap done, I will say it's a BLAST TO DRIVE! With the bonus rear gear upgrade (auto's came with 3.27's vs. the normal 5-speed 2.73's (a 2 gear ration jump)) it feels like the car lost a good 500 pounds. It would be like having 3.73's installed with the auto. There are many times when I wish I had just kept the auto and had a high performance rebuild done. Especially when I forget to go easy taking off on wet pavement! It's frustrating (yet sometimes fun, unless you have a line of traffic behind you) when you have to get to third gear before you can get enough traction to actually go more than a few feet sideways(usually hopping most of the way)! The infamous HWH(Horrendous Wheel Hop) is very real and VERY annoying! There are things that help it which are in my future plans, but if you're into smokey burnouts as long as your tires hold out, those days are pretty much gone. My personal preference is for the 5-speed, as it really is lots and lots of fun to drive. Like many of the other guys have said, try to find someone nearby who has one and will let you drive it. You might decide you like it better as an auto. I've driven my car for a couple years as an auto and a couple years as a 5-speed. Both are practical and I've even gotten better mileage with the 5-speed. It's not that bad in traffic, although after 30 to 45 minutes the clutch tends to start chattering a bit.

Yeah, stock AOD's suck...all the enjoyment out of driving a SC :D

Hell, that's true of just about any auto, really.

I've never driven a SC with an improved auto, but I have driven many other cars that have had modded trannies and the difference is remarkable to say the least. No reason to believe that SC's would be any different.

The way I look at it, for driving around a 5 speed can be fun, but I wouldn't turn up my nose at an auto car with a modded tranny. And while a 5 speed can get down the track with an auto, it's a damn sight easier with the auto.

Bet that was a lotta help, huh? :)

Parker Dean said:
Yeah, stock AOD's suck...all the enjoyment out of driving a SC :D

Hell, that's true of just about any auto, really.

I've never driven a SC with an improved auto, but I have driven many other cars that have had modded trannies and the difference is remarkable to say the least. No reason to believe that SC's would be any different.

The way I look at it, for driving around a 5 speed can be fun, but I wouldn't turn up my nose at an auto car with a modded tranny. And while a 5 speed can get down the track with an auto, it's a damn sight easier with the auto.

Bet that was a lotta help, huh? :)

I'll second Parker's comment. Having had a stage 2 shift kit in my car for a year or so before the AOD tranny went and I had the 5-speed swap done, I will say it was great and lots of fun. At the time I had it done, it was cheaper to go with the 5-speed swap otherwise I think I might have actually rebuilt the AOD with performance parts and maybe a lentech valve body. Hope this helps in your decision.

Jake said:
Well I have everything needed to do the swap minus driveshaft and flywheel but I think I'm gonna get an Art Carr with the Lentech valve body and 9.5" converter. Thanks for the info.
That's the same setup I'm running now. Well, I haven't actually lowered the car off the stands yet...I've got a couple more projects first.

Back