Do I have the timing set right? LOOK...

AlanEdwards

Please see the pics below. I've set the balancer and the Cam Position Sensor in the way as shown below. The only difference is that, the end of the "half moon cup" is directly in the middle of the "opening" of the CPS base, not a little off like in the pictures. Otherwise, it's just like in the pics.

My question is, do I have it set right? I don't have a CPS tool to tell me EXACTLY where it's supposed to be at 38 degrees or whatever, so I had to eyeball it. I want to start the engine in the morning (saturday), so if you can give an answer ASAP, I'd appreciate it.

Also, I couldn't get the CPS base all the way in, past the o-ring. I finally took the o-ring off and applied RTV blue to the base where it meets the front cover, and it settled in fine, then I tightened it down. Is this acceptable, you think?

Take care.

Attachments

• cps1.jpg
    cps1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 136
  • cps2.jpg
    cps2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 141
  • cps3.jpg
    cps3.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
As far as that goes, it's on the compression stroke. I pulled the #1 plug, stuck my finger in the hole, turned the engine over, and when it forced my finger out we stopped and looked at the balancer and it was right around TDC degrees. I then nudged it back to the notch you see in the pics above, 26 degrees ATDC. Now, with that, am I right? Take care.

First off, you must get the crank at 26 deg ATDC before you can do anything else. Your picture of the damper is worthless because it is so badly out of focus you can't see anything other than to confirm that you actually have one. :p Then you need to align the vane with the middle of the notch. There are instructions posted in the member's section.

The vane is aligned with the dead center of the notch in the balancer. Based on this and the photos above, am I OK? Thanks for the replies. Take care.

AlanEdwards said:
The vane is aligned with the dead center of the notch in the balancer. Based on this and the photos above, am I OK? Thanks for the replies. Take care.

In all of this you have never confirmed that you have the motor at 26deg ATDC. Perhaps I wasn't clear???

AlanEdwards said:
As far as that goes, it's on the compression stroke. I pulled the #1 plug, stuck my finger in the hole, turned the engine over, and when it forced my finger out we stopped and looked at the balancer and it was right around TDC degrees. I then nudged it back to the notch you see in the pics above, 26 degrees ATDC. Now, with that, am I right? Take care.

Unless he edited this afterwards Dave, he mentions it here.

Scott Long said:
Unless he edited this afterwards Dave, he mentions it here.
Yes he mentioned it but the picture is so blurry I can't see anything of value from it. No BHJ balancer I've seen has a notch in it so this is why I was asking for verification.

Nevermind. My monitor is so dark I couldn't see it. I guess BHJ has updated their balancers. About damn time after charging us $3xx each for the things.

So yes he has it right.

Thanks much David, Dave, Scott, and Cougar. And, as far as the balancer goes, that's not even mine. I stole pics from another thread to describe mine. I've got the Ford balancer. Take care.

p.s. With this message I've broke the 200 mark on here. WOOHOO !!!!! I love this web site. I've gotten so, so, so, so, so much useful information. I wouldn't have been able to do some of the things that I have done without you guys. Thanks for everything.

Last edited:
Back