Do I have a TV cable, and where is it?

AlanEdwards

I've got a '94 Auto SC. I've finished rebuilding the engine and dropped it in. I've hooked "most" things up and bolted things down. I was at a point that I thought it would start, and I couldn't wait any longer. I turned the key and it fired up. My grin is as big as the Cheshire Cat's grin. My 1st words to the 3 guys standing there were "I did that!!!" and pointed at the engine. I'm so frakin' happy.

Anyway, I have a question. I've heard about the TV cable on here several times. Where does it go and what does it attach to. Does it go to the throttle body with the accel cable and the cruise cable? If so, there is a large hole (almost an inch wide) in the top of the black bracket that leads to the throttle connection. Is this where the TV cable goes? If so, I can't find the cable. When I took the bracket off when pulling the engine, I don't remember detaching anything from the braket. I left the accel cable and the cruise cable attached to it, and don't remember another cable going through it.

I started it today, although it stalled after a few seconds (probably just vacuum lines not completed), and want to finish completely tomorrow. I'd appreciate the help. Does anyone have a picture of the throttle and bracket I'm talking about? Take care.

TV cables are only found on the 89-93 AOD equipped SC's. Since your car is a 94, you have an electronically controlled 4R70W (no TV cable to worry about).

-Rod

The computer controls when your transmission shifts and you can modify those settings with a chip or an eec tuner. The TV cable controls pressure in the AOD trans which sets when it shifts at which throttle position, and so forth.

As for your 4R70W trans, I'd suggest you do the Jerry mod if you want it to shift nice and firm.

Congrats on the rebuild, hope it runs good for you.

The brackets were standard on all SC's regardless of year or trans. The top hole is left open on 5-speeds and late model automatics.

There should be three things connected to your throttle body linkage: throttle cable, cruise control cable, and a return spring.

-Rod

Scott,

What's a Jerry mod? My tranny already shifts firm into 2nd. When getting on it, the car will bark 2nd gear. Is this normal for factory and no tranny mods? Thanks for the congrats and the well wishes.

Rod,

Where should the return spring be? Do you have a pic of it? Or if you have one with it, do you have a digital camera and could you post it here?

Take care.

There is a complete writeup on the J-mod over at tccoa.com in the tech articles. It's basically the recommended way to build up the transmission and a shift kit all in one. It was written by one of the Ford engineers that designed our transmissions.

I don't have any 94-95 SC's, but I'll try to take a picture tomorrow of the return spring on a 89-93.

-Rod

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/shiftybusiness.html

Maybe a previous owner had a shift kit installed. I own an AOD and I have a buddy with a 4R70W and stock neither of them would ever get rubber on the 1-2. They were both slush boxes that would lag between gears.

Now I have a lentech and it has no more lag.

I noticed you're in the AF. Whats your MOS? I'm joining up this fall.

Last edited:
A second gear scratch really depends on the car, and whether or not the 1-2 accumulator spring is broken or not. My Splitport 94 LX has the 2000 4R70W in it (currently without the J-mod), and it has always broke the tires loose going into second. The tuning has a little to do with that though. ;)

-Rod

Scott,

MO?... You probably mean MOS, which is used in the Marines and the Army. In the Air Force it's called AFSC. I'm a 1N031, or Intelligence Operations Analyst. It's a great field, and highly recommend it, or anything in intelligence. Good luck.

Rod,

What would a shift kit and J-mod do for me? If I'm already shifting pretty firm, how would it help me?

Take care.

Last edited:
Well, it looks like I'll have to eat my own words here. On the 89-93 SC's that I have, the throttle blade return spring is actually built into the throttle cable. Here's a pic of it.

-Rod

P.S. - Most engines have a seperate return spring. I never noticed that the SC was set up like this.

Also, the J-mod would likely extend the life of your transmission. I'd suggest reading the "Ford OD Transmissions 101" tech article over at tccoa.com.

Attachments

• 07170001.JPG
    07170001.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 109
Thanks Rod. That's what I thought it was, as far as the spring goes. I know what you're talking about with other cars having separate springs on the throttle blade. We all learn something new every day, huh? I appreciate you doing that for me though, and for the info on the J-mod. I think I'm going to add a cooler in the next month, at the very least.

What's your opinion about what I did to my MAF housing, as seen in my signature? One guy told me that I ruined it and the car will run way too rich and could damage my new rings. Anyone else's opinions would be welcome too.

Take care.

Last edited:
TV cable

My TV cable runs from the utility pole to my house then under. I get all the premium chanels HBO, SHO, CIN Ect.........

AlanEdwards said:
I think I'm going to add a cooler in the next month, at the very least.

What's your opinion about what I did to my MAF housing, as seen in my signature? One guy told me that I ruined it and the car will run way too rich and could damage my new rings. Anyone else's opinions would be welcome too.

You should definitely install a trans cooler. Your transmission will thank you for it.

Removing the center post and enlarging the sampling tube on the MAF are generally seen as bad things around here. I know I wouldn't do it.

-Rod

Back