SC baja update

takotruckin

between work and the heat, i havnt had much time to work on my motor swap. but i finally got the front exit top done and the intercooler mounted. hopefully its going to the exhaust shop this week, then its all downhill from there, wire it up and plumb the water lines. i would post pics but my parents are out of town with the camera..

I once saw a VW bug with a Chevy 427 in it. It was under the hood in front. They had completely reworked the whole car. Did you think about putting the motor up front before you started and what kind of transmission are you using and how is it bolted up to the once before transaxle? Looks cool though!

NCredSC said:
I once saw a VW bug with a Chevy 427 in it. It was under the hood in front. They had completely reworked the whole car. Did you think about putting the motor up front before you started and what kind of transmission are you using and how is it bolted up to the once before transaxle? Looks cool though!

There is a yellow one in Hilliard thats tubed, caged, fuel cell, built chevy 350, nitrous, and wheelie bars out back. Its even got a triple butterfly sticking threw the hood.

Shane

i never really considered putting the motor up front, it all started as just a way to get a little more power... its a 6 rib bus tranny, which is supposed to be the strongest besides the $3000 ones. its bolted to the tranny with a kennedy adapter plate and flywheel

what is the part number for the belt you are running? I see you have stock pullies and no ac/ps. I can run a belt like that to bypass my AC and PS pumps when I go to the track. I thought it could only be used w/ underdrive pullies but it looks like yours will work with stock pullies. Can you post the part number of the belt?

i dont think it would work on yours because of the radiator hose, check it out. i'll try to get the part number tomorrow anyways

I've seen the ps pump bypassed before, you have to use a flex hose to curve it out of the way. Then you can change the belts w/o draining the radiator. Chris Wise had that setup for the track.

So the question everyone wants to know is.....If you put a 3.8 SC in a Baja Bug is it still a Super Coupe? :D

Just Kidding I think your project is really cool and I hope it turns out well. Can't wait to see the end result!

Dirk

takotruckin said:
well, the car was a superbeetle when i started, so it is definitley a super something. i was thinking maybe a super sedan.. or a super super beetle.. i dunno...

A super something. If you go with nitrous, would that be "beetle juice"? :D

well, i finally got some work done on my bug. its at the muffler shop now, the guy there talked me into going with dual glass packs(they are small). i also had him bend up the pipe for the intercooler. im kinda worried, last time i talked to him he said "this sure is harder than i thought". i wonder how much this is gonna cost me.. i should get the car back monday, i'll try to remember to take pics. next week i need to finish wiring it and hook up all the gauges and stuff. it should be running by next weekend :D

Sweet dude...A buddy of mine has been considering this mod with his '72 superbeetle. Send me a PM of the cost...

Stephen

it runs! and i have new pics!!

no cooling, so i cant run it long, but when i let off it pops/backfires, anyone have any idea why? another thing is that the elbow on the top is too weak, it gets compressed at idle. car makes good boost though.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 237
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 229
Back