Sick Coupe

indycoupe

My son drives an 89 SC with about 105 k on the ODO. Recently, his brake stopped working properly, they act as though they lost their power assist. At the same time, his guages stopped working and his AC / heater control stopped working. We are thinking that a computer has gone out, but are unsure where to start with any troubleshooting. Could any of you help us to get the repair of these problems repaired? Thanks to all who reply!!!!!! SICK COUPE IN INDY

Sounds like the brake booster went out. This will cause a large vac leak, and prevent the a/c damper controls, that work off vac, from working. Dood luck.

The more I read other post about the problematic ignition switches in these cars, the more I am suspecting an ignition switch failure. I just told my son about this possibility and he says that the key is going into the lock barrel really loose and is real sloppy. And now his car won't start at all. It died with the electric windows down and he had to wiggle the key to get the windows back up. Any reasons that I have mentioned in my posts that should lead me away from the ignition switch at this time? THANKS!!

im almost positive its an ignition switch. might as well change it, 10 minutes and $12 is a pretty good place to start.

As soon as I get the switch changed, I will let you know how it came out. It may be a few days before I get to it. I appreciate the help, Indycoupe.

All is good

:) Well I pulled the lower steering column cover off and sure enough, the ignition switch was hanging down in pieces. Although I was prepared with Torx bits, someone had already replaced the original screws with plain metric bolt. Less than 10 minutes later, I had the new switch in ($10). Everything now works again, brakes, AC/heater, gages, turn signals, etc. None of the parts of the old switch were broken, it was just separated. It seems as though the tangs that are supposed to hold on to the plastic parts need to be bigger so they engage into the plastic better. Definitely a bad design. Thanks to all who contribute to this forum and to all who replied! Indycoupe :)

Back