PDA

View Full Version : Modified Fuel Rail ?

SCrazy
07-18-2005, 02:27 PM
I'm in the process of splitting my fuel rail in half and supplying each side of the rail independantly.

My fuel lines are -08 supply and -06 return fed from an A-1000 Aeroquip external fuel pump. My intention is to put a Y-block on the passenger side wheel wheel with a supply line feeding each side of the split fuel rail with return lines going to a remote FRP also mounted near the PS wheel well.

My question is if I optimize the lenghts of my lines from the Y-block to the rails and back to the FPR then the fuel delivered to the drivers side will travel about 30 inches further than the PS fuel. Is there enough difference in pressure drop due to this extra lenght to cause a noticable fuel prressure imbalance between the two banks of cylinders?

David Neibert
07-18-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm in the process of splitting my fuel rail in half and supplying each side of the rail independantly.

My fuel lines are -08 supply and -06 return fed from an A-1000 Aeroquip external fuel pump. My intention is to put a Y-block on the passenger side wheel wheel with a supply line feeding each side of the split fuel rail with return lines going to a remote FRP also mounted near the PS wheel well.

My question is if I optimize the lenghts of my lines from the Y-block to the rails and back to the FPR then the fuel delivered to the drivers side will travel about 30 inches further than the PS fuel. Is there enough difference in pressure drop due to this extra lenght to cause a noticable fuel prressure imbalance between the two banks of cylinders?

Brian,

With supply lines that large it won't make any differince. An 8an from the tank to the Y block and then a pair of 6AN hoses to each side of the rail would supply all the fuel you'll ever need and would probably look a little better.

David

BT Motorsports
07-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Is there still interest in a billet fuel rail, or preferably, one like what we presently have but with a larger diameter tubing and provisions for a remote mount regulator?

Paul

SCrazy
07-19-2005, 08:41 AM
Brian,

With supply lines that large it won't make any differince. An 8an from the tank to the Y block and then a pair of 6AN hoses to each side of the rail would supply all the fuel you'll ever need and would probably look a little better.

David
David:

I think your correct 6an is 3/8" which is plenty big for our application plus size 6 hose will be much easier to work with.

thanks

Is there still interest in a billet fuel rail, or preferably, one like what we presently have but with a larger diameter tubing and provisions for a remote mount regulator?

Paul
Since our current rail supplies all six injectors from a single feed, I'm thinking that I'm effectively doubling the capacity of the system by splitting it in half and feeding from two locations. I'm going to utilize the segments of the rail where the injectors attached to that I do not need to mess with the funky connection angles of the injectors. The nice part about our existing rail is it maintains a low profile thereby limiting interference with other things on top of the motor.

David Neibert
07-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Brian,

You might want to contact Todd Jelle (TJC Graphics) because he has done pretty much the same thing your talking about to his fuel rail. I also helped Chris Wise do it to his. BTW, Both guys located the regulator near the driver's side firewall like I did on my turbo car. If you have an automatic that spot works great, but on a 5 sped car you would have the clutch master cylinder in that location.

Here's a picture of my regulator and all the fuel hoses. I used dual 6AN supply lines and a single 6AN return line.

David

XR7 Dave
07-19-2005, 10:22 AM
There already are billet rails available. Several members have them, where have you been? :p

SCrazy
07-19-2005, 10:33 AM
Brian,

You might want to contact Todd Jelle (TJC Graphics) because he has done pretty much the same thing your talking about to his fuel rail. I also helped Chris Wise do it to his. BTW, Both guys located the regulator near the driver's side firewall like I did on my turbo car. If you have an automatic that spot works great, but on a 5 sped car you would have the clutch master cylinder in that location.

Here's a picture of my regulator and all the fuel hoses. I used dual 6AN supply lines and a single 6AN return line.

David
David,

I do have a five speed so the drivers side is pretty clustered but I've removed the entire a/c system from the car so there is quite a bit of space on the passenger side.

Thanks for the pictures.

Micahdogg
07-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Also, if you do not want to use the factory injector bosses:

http://stores.ebay.com/Ross-Machine-Racing_Billet-Accessories_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Micah

David Neibert
07-19-2005, 11:14 AM
Dave or Paul,

Got any pics of those billet rails. I saw the ones that ESM made for George's whipple project, but didn't know about any others.

David

XR7 Dave
07-19-2005, 11:42 PM
I have one set and there are some others who have them as well. I don't have any pictures at the moment, but they are made by a member here. Perhaps he'll post a picture or two.