car just dies at idle

matteo

its happened maybe 4 times now, sitting at idle in my 5-speed, the motor will start sputtering and die. you can tell its about to happen because the vac is around 15in-Hg instead of the normal 18 before it stops running. it seems to be random too. one time after i'd been driving for a while (at night) and another right after start up (mid day). any ideas?

its hot around here- i think the high yesterday was like 117°- think that might have something to do with it? thanks guys.

Iac???

If you had performance issues under acceleration as well as at idle, I would say vacuum leaks, but if it is only happening at idle then the IAC (idle air control) may be malfunctioning. One more thing to check would be collapsed engine mounts. When they go, the engine will stumble at idle due to the knock sensor picking up the increased vibration (at least I've read that it is due to the knock sensor).

LJGriggs said:
If you had performance issues under acceleration as well as at idle, I would say vacuum leaks, but if it is only happening at idle then the IAC (idle air control) may be malfunctioning. One more thing to check would be collapsed engine mounts. When they go, the engine will stumble at idle due to the knock sensor picking up the increased vibration (at least I've read that it is due to the knock sensor).
Thanks, last time I checked the motor mounts looked fine, but I'll definitely look at them again. What is the IAC? Is it an electronic or mechanical part, and where is it located? I can look it up for myself if you dont want to take the time to explain it. Thanks.

By the way, I eventually want a sho and a SC too. One of them your daily driver?

matteo said:
Thanks, last time I checked the motor mounts looked fine, but I'll definitely look at them again. What is the IAC? Is it an electronic or mechanical part, and where is it located? I can look it up for myself if you dont want to take the time to explain it. Thanks.

By the way, I eventually want a sho and a SC too. One of them your daily driver?

I guess you could call both the SC and the SHO my daily drivers... I drive whichever one of them happens to be running :rolleyes: Seriously, I've been driving the SHO lately, but the SC should be back on the road later this week (new built-up AOD going in).

The IAC is a "sensor" device that adjusts the airflow through the throttle body at idle. It is located on the side of the TB next to the throttle position sensor (TPS).

Back