Gears & Drivability Question

Ira R.

I still can't get used to these 3.27 gears in the 5-speed. To those who have them, how does the car handle local driving, and what rpm's do you usually find yourself using. I am so used to the stock rear end, that I have to remind myself that cruising at 2700rpm @ 40 mph in 3rd gear should be okay, and that I shouldn't use 5th gear to do 60 on the highway at 1800 rpm or she just bogs down pretty badly.

Must be me, so I'm looking for something to comapre it to. What do you cruise at and what do you shift at? And I'm not talking about when you get on it. That part I've got down real well!

Also, what sort of fuel mileage do you get around town? Since I had to take the '92 off the road for the last week or so, I have had to use the '95 more around town then I like.

ira

Last edited:
i mostly putt around town in 3rd or 4rth at 1200 rpm with my 273 gears and i put it in 5th about 50mph and cruise fine at 1600 rpm at 60mph about 20mpg around town and 30 or more highway

I'm not really sure what you are asking exactly.

With a stock SC the car runs really well between 1500-3000rpm for normal driving regardless of gears. I avoid all boost below 1800-2000rpm.

Your 95 has a cam in it that doesn't like to be loaded much below 2000rpm and will drive nicely between 2000-4000rpm. It will cruise at 1500rpm when going easy, but it doesn't like heavy loads down low like that.

Gas mileage varies directly with the left foot. Around town I usually see 15-18 with the "cammed" car and 20-22 on the highway. With a stocker and stock gears you should average about 3mpg better.

That's exactly what I was asking. So cruising around town at 2700-3000 rpms is "normal" and not just burning fuel. That's fine. Like I said, I was so used to doing everything at 1500 - 2000 in the stock one that I keep thinking I'm running too high an rpm for no reason in this one. I am getting around 15-16 mph around town so I guess I should just stop worrying about it.

And you are so right about it not wanting to pull a load at 2000 or below. That is one of the things that had me second guessing myself. She really bogs down in fourth and fifth gear at 2000 or below when I am doing 40 - 60 mph. Thanks.

Oh, I also think I may have a boost leak again :( Can't get the idle to settle below 1000 rpms again and the vacum seems to have settled closer to 10 then to 15. Gotta get that gauge replaced. And if it ever stops raining around here I am going to take that IC tube off again and shove a gasket in there once and for all!!
ira

Last edited:
Back