Gauges

tjsc87

hey, i have had a boost and oil press gauge in my car now for about 2 months problem being they are not hooked up i wanted to know if someone could tell me how and where too hook these gauges up to... the are autometer gauges and they are the mechanical ones that have to be hooked up to a "pressure port" for the oil ... i just wanna know what i gotta do bhefore i go and screw somethin up if someone could give me a somewhat detailed "how to" that would be greatly appriciated

Thanks
TJ

It's kinda hard to give a detailed description, but basically you can tee off the line that serves the stock guage or tap into the return plenum for the new boost guage. For oil pressure you can tee the pipe that goes into the block for the stock oil press sending unit. BTW, there is no way in the world I would use a mechanical oil pressure guage in the passenger compartment of a street driven car. If that line fails you'll have hot engine oil spraying at 60 psi all over the place. John

hey thanx man io was actually thinking how not safe that would be to have the oil line running into the car so im thinkin ima go out and get me an eletrical one thanx for the info now if i were to get the electical boost and oil pressure i just splice the lines for the stock gaughes right

tjsc87 said:
hey thanx man io was actually thinking how not safe that would be to have the oil line running into the car so im thinkin ima go out and get me an eletrical one thanx for the info now if i were to get the electical boost and oil pressure i just splice the lines for the stock gaughes right
The boost guage will not be an electric guage, it reads the boost via an air tube from wherever you tap the source of boost. The oil pressure is a different story. You can't just splice the stock oil pressure wire, it won't work. The stock oil pressure sending unit is only a switch, either you have pressure or not. That's why your stock guage always reads the same spot all the time. You need to buy a sending unit that sends an analog signal that varies with the pressure (do a search here and you'll find a part number). Then you either have to tee where the stock sending unit goes into the block to run both sending units, or just replace the stock sender with the new one and run to the new guage. Your stock guage won't work anymore but it's worthless anyway. You should ground the stock guage wire so you won't have a "check guages" light. John

Back