converting ac in my 92 sc

wigglesrewind

hey guys i did a lot of searching on this subject and still have questions

for one, my sc's air conditioning sucks. it blows pure warm air at me and id like to get the system working again. i am gonna check tomorrow morning and see if the compressor spins freely or if its already bad. im gonna go to a shop and have them leak test and evacuate the system for me but other than that from what ive read i need a new orifice tube, an r134a conversion kit and a new drier and an oring kit for the ac compressor. is the technical name for the drier the accumolator, evaporator or condenser? i would like to know because the autozone employees around here are seriously mentally handicapped and i have to know exactly what i need to get it or i get the run around. one guy said that my 88 mustang didnt have an IAC so i had to go home and find out its technical name and then come back and get the idle air bypass valve i needed :rolleyes:

thanks a lot guys it will be nice to get working a/c again.

wigglesrewind said:
is the technical name for the drier the accumolator, evaporator or condenser? i would like to know because the autozone employees around here are seriously mentally handicapped
The accumulator and the drier are the same thing. It is a black or silver canister with 2 curved tubes poking out the top. The condenser is a radiator like cooler mounted front of the coolant radiator. The evaporator is a block like radiator which is buried in a case behind the dash. If your compressor is working, you can proceed as you have planned. A leak test is a good thing to start with. If leaks are found where the Orings join the lines, thats an easy fix. In fact, you should replace all of them regardless of their condition.

wigglesrewind said:
hey guys i did a lot of searching on this subject and still have questions

for one, my sc's air conditioning sucks. it blows pure warm air at me and id like to get the system working again. i am gonna check tomorrow morning and see if the compressor spins freely or if its already bad. im gonna go to a shop and have them leak test and evacuate the system for me but other than that from what ive read i need a new orifice tube, an r134a conversion kit and a new drier and an oring kit for the ac compressor. is the technical name for the drier the accumolator, evaporator or condenser? i would like to know because the autozone employees around here are seriously mentally handicapped and i have to know exactly what i need to get it or i get the run around. one guy said that my 88 mustang didnt have an IAC so i had to go home and find out its technical name and then come back and get the idle air bypass valve i needed :rolleyes:

thanks a lot guys it will be nice to get working a/c again.
You'll need to replace ALL the o-rings if your'e switching to 134. It is suggested to replace the compressor as well, though some opt to just dump out the ester oil & replace it with 5 oz. of pag oil. The other 3 oz. need to be in the accumulator when you install a new one.

Yes, any of the big parts houses carry them or can get them. If your'e putting 134 in, make sure you ask for o-ring that are compatible with it.

Back