Rear end Gears switching out

I'm one of those people who would do almost any job myself, just to avoid going to the shop, but I think this is a job best left to the pros. Most of the general mechanics I know wouldn't even do it, everyone recommended I go to a rear end specialty shop. I guess the reason is that special tools are required, and some steps, like setting gear lash, take a lot of experience to learn how to do right. To make it easier on the wallet, you can remove the "pumpkin" yourself easily, and just bring it to the shop.

UNLESS - if you get a pumpkin with 3.73 gears already installed, and you are just talking about swapping the pumpkins, then that is easy, definitely can be done yourself.

Hey if you find a Rearend with the 3.73's already installed.. and you wanna do the switch yourself... I would be willing to take the rearend you take out with the 3.27's

jermenheinder said:
What would be the difficulty level of switching out the 3.27s to 3.73s in the rear end? 1-10

swapping rear end gears should definately be done by a professional. If the teeth on the gears don't mesh correctly, it could lead to all kinds of problems down the road. Not to mention, they will be noisy as all get out! (trust me, I've been there) I have heard people say that if you use the Ford Racing gears, you can use the same amount of shims, and don't have to do all the measuring- which might make it within reach to do yourself, but I don't know if thats true or not. Makes sense though.....the gears are all precision machined by Ford (should be same specs), but the rearend housing, however, is not. The same level of precision cannot be achived with the casting process of the rearend housing.....which is why the shims even exhist. hope that helps at least a little

Back