Rotors rubbing front of supercharger case

Grims95SC

I'm in the middle of replacing the rear bearings on my blower and when I opened up the case I noticed this rubbing. I know the rear bearings are toast but I'm wondering now about the front ones too. Could it be the failed rear ones have caused the rotors to wobble just enough (like 0.01mm) to put these very fine scratches in the case? Or is it the front bearings that has caused it?
If its the front ones I'd rather replace it now. I have a show to go to on sunday and since I'm still waiting for parts I'd rather not assemble it all when I finally get the bearings and then find out. Total waste of time and I don't want to miss the show, I have only driven this car for like 4 days this year. :(
IMG_1072.jpg

Its just debris that has gotten between the rotors and case. Same with the tips of your rotors. The front bearings aren't just a simple replacment. You would have to remove the gears and make sure that when they go back together they are PRECISELY timed. That's not the half of it though. You will have to get the new bearings (not too bad) and seals (Tbird88 is the only one that has them) and there is a ridge that is folded over the bearing so you will need a way to retain them.

If you can pull and push the rotors fore and aft then the bearings are shot, otherwise you are all right. Make sure to clean all the crap from inside the blower. Don't use a solvent as you will remove the remaining coating from your late model blower.

If you need new bearings then buy a set from a GM M90 as they have a much better coating. All you will need to do is move a dowel to its proper location.

Jeff

Wow that was fast, thanks Jeff!
I have wiped out as much stuff as I can get at. The debris probably came from the edges of the rotors since they started to rub against the case. I tried to move the rotors forwards and back like you suggested but they didn't move so I guess the front bearings are still ok which is defenatly good news!
I got the bearings and coupler through Wynn and after chatting with him I should have all I need to redo the rears. I'm just glad I don't have to do the front ones after hearing how percise you need to be! :eek:
I guess I'm off to a GM dealership tomorrow to pick up some supercharger oil.

I haven't seena set of front bearings go bad yet. Although some members on the board have had. For some reason I think that most people don't pay enough attn to the aircleaner lid and this causes dirt to get into the SC. and since the tol's are real close it just gets scraped around. I have seen lots of blowers that exibit those marks. I have about 3-4 that are like that right now.

Jeff

I don't doubt that dirt getting sucked in through the intake can scratch up a blower real good but that's not the case here. I had to pop the top off to put on my MP one back in January and there were no scratches on the rotors, so none on the case. I've only put on maybe 400km since then. But I'll double check to make sure everything is tight when it all goes back together.
EDIT: The case is apart and I tried to tap out the old bearings, no dice. Do you need a press to get them out or do I just need to break out the hammer? I don't want to start smacking away on it and damage the case. I know this is a noob question but I want to get it right the first time. Learning the hard way sucks.

Last edited:
Back