Trying to beat a GTP.....

mkurkowski

Hey Guys,

I have been watching sccoa.com for a long time now and it is blatently obvious to me that there are some very knowledgable users here. Therefore, I have come to you all with a few questions.

Here's the deal, I have a 92 SC 5 spd. and love it. I have a great friend who just bought an 05 Grand Prix GTP. The GTP is rated at 260 hp and 280 ft. lbs. of torque. I can't take it any longer, I have got to get my SC to rock that GTP's world, but how? Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to do to get 260-275 hp out of my SC? Thanks for the help guys!

Max

I'd click the link on the opening www.sccoa.com page for "Top SCs" and then scroll down to the mid to high 13 second cars, then start looking at what mods those people have.

Then use the search function :D

Quick note, it aint cheap to make these cars go fast ;)

ok....

In the FAQs there is a thread that says that you should be able to gain 75hp with no more than headers, exhaust, and a raised/enlarged supercharger top. Can this be correct? Doesn't seem too likely to me.....

mkurkowski said:
ok....

In the FAQs there is a thread that says that you should be able to gain 75hp with no more than headers, exhaust, and a raised/enlarged supercharger top. Can this be correct? Doesn't seem too likely to me.....
Well that may be a bit over inflated.. but the cost of the headers is about what it would cost to do a valve job on a GM.

yeah, i understand

so what headers and exhaust do you guys recommend for a nice mellow sound and maximum performance? (or at least a compromise of the two)

To beat that GTP your going to have to get your SC quick enough to run a 14.2 or better. My wife has a 99 GTP and it was a bit of a factory freak and ran a best of 14.1 stock, but most run mid to high 14s. A stock SC runs mid to high 15s.

Look at the fastest SC list and look at the mods on low 14 second cars. If you want to take a quick shortcut, buy an AR blower kit from Dave Dalke and you will pretty much be there.

David

I know i'll probably get flamed for this but, i have a friend with a 99 or 00 GTP, can't remember which one, he's got a k&n filter other then that it's stock. My car had a B&M ripper shifter, rebuilt motor to factory specs with a 94/95 supercharger and removed air silencer, we were pretty much dead even. We went to our favorite quarter mile strip and raced twice. I beat him by a about 2 feet. very very close race, then i got manifold back exhaust....2.25 3 2.25 high flow cats resenator no mufflers, i then was beating him by a car length in the quarter mile. Also in 1/8 mile he was running consistant 9.8's and with exhaust i hit a best of 9.5 at 73.65 mph on street tires....is my car just fast for stock? or is there somthing wrong with his GTP or what?

Easy,
If you ask around you'll find these to be the biggest bang for the buck mods on an SC

this is the bare minimum you'll need.

a set of 38lb injectors
255 lpi pump
s-port blower, or MP2
MP intake plenum
a 73mm C&L MAF w/ correct sample tube
a tune...either an SCT chip, or ECC tuner,& some time on the dyno, with somebody who knows the EEC
(optional)...possibly a set of 3.27 gears, to help acceleration.

There are other things you can do but these parts will get you over 250 rwhp if you have a good motor.

things not needed...although they add power, its just a bit more here & there.
a larger SC top.
a larger TB..(you have a 70 on the 92)
underdrive pulleys

Beleive me this will get you there. the only thing is you need a goog motor to begin with.
My wifes 100K+ mile 93 5 spd, recently put down 255rwhp/348tq before a tune & 276rwhp/355tq after a tune, with just these mods
thats saying its easily over 300hp at the flywheel.

I only wish I'd known this 4-5 years ago before I threw everything I could at my first SC only to make 260rwhp, with alot more $$$

Last edited:
Todd I believe the Throttle Body is a 65 mm regardless. The maf on 89-91 cars was 55 mm and it was enlarged to 70 mm for 92-95's.

the mf is 70mm, not the throttle body. His 30lb injectors and maf are good for around 300 horsies, so the money saved thier could buy him a well respected raised top or double intercooler. You could also go front mount, the intercooler from a late 90's dodge turbo diesel should work great, and not cost a fortune.

one thing i can tell you is, that you have to get the GTP off the line. or else its all over for you. Thats how i beat them. Regardless of the year. Get the best launch and you win easily. Ive beaten several stock.

Back