What do I look for when buying a SC?

JJP123

Hello!

My first post... I've been researching SC T-Birds and decided I have to have one. I've bought and sold a few cars, and believe I know all of the basics: checking fluids, identifying overspray, following behind the car to see if it drives straight or dog tracks, taking it on the highway as well as around town, getting it in the air to inspect the underside and brakes and what not... I saw my question asked somewhere, and the "canned" answer was to get a local club member to go check out the car as there are too many things to look for...

A. That's easier said than done,
B. It's a trust thing -I don't trust anybody that I don't know really well. Suppose I find a good deal on a clean SC only to have the person who checks it out with me end up buying it out from underneath me?!? That said, any known problem areas that could be identified would be appreciated. I'm going after a '95 5-Speed... Thanks & happy motoring!!!

JJP

Good luck with your potential purchase. If the car you're looking at is anything like mine were, you can expect to replace the brakes, suspension, steering, motor mounts, radiator, radiator fan motor, and a couple of engine sensors. You might have to hunt down a key for the wheel locks, a remote for the keyless entry, and those little plastic window motor bushings. You'll probably also be looking for a harmonic balancer in the near future.

If you point out all those deficiencies to the current owner, you can probably swing a better deal.

If I've scared you off, would you mind letting me know where I can find a 95 5-speed for sale? :D

Well I'd look for a low amount of owners as my first priority. First and second owners tend to take better care of thier cars and its easier to trace its past.

Check for fluid spray around the ower nosecone seal. Check for good vacuume....Make sure fan is working properly and car doesnt overheat

Of course there are a million other things you can check for however thats a good start

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
Well I'd look for a low amount of owners as my first priority. First and second owners tend to take better care of thier cars and its easier to trace its past.

Check for fluid spray around the ower nosecone seal. Check for good vacuume....Make sure fan is working properly and car doesnt overheat

Of course there are a million other things you can check for however thats a good start

Good stuff -particularly about the nosecone seal. As for the number of owners and million other things, yeah, I know, but I lump those into the list of things I already know to check out -used car buying 101 if you will. My primary goal here is to get very specific advice with regard to the marque. Many thanks to all who've posted -even the "another car" comments. Keep 'em comin' and have a nice weekend!

JJP

There are some out there that already have alot of the PITA things done such as a new BHJ balancer, repaired window motors, new water pumps, rebuilt front ends, fresh paint...etc...that are for sale at decent prices :D

Back