About to replace head gaskets

Thrillhunter

Hey everyone! I'm about to put on a new set of headgaskets on my 89 SC. I know I'll need to obviously do my valve covers as well. While I've got her apart, what all else to you all suggest me look at/replace while I'm in there. I'm looking to keep my SC stock, no upgrades. As of now, she is the same Bird as she was 16 years ago, with a few ages lines of course..LOL But I'm thinking sensors, pcv valves, etc. that I might need to check while I can easily get to them. Just looking for advice from others that have already drove down this road.

Depends if coolant damaged the bearings in the bottom end. What was the cause - clogged cats, overdrive sc pulley, hard driving, age/miles.

Gaskets:
Head
Valve cover
plenum to intake
teflon intercooler gaskets

Sensors:
cam
temp

Catalytic converters
thermostat
engine flush (get toxic oil/coolant mixture out)
coolant flush (might as well)
head studs (not bolts)

Other stuff to check:
waterpump and timing cover
rad hoses, and belts
clean injectors
clean throttlebody
clean intercooler
jackshaft bearing
clean all electrical connectors and use dielectric grease
anti-seize bolts/studs
power wash
spray rusty spots with rust protection

Hope this helps.

Just done mine this week-- Get the Fel-Pro kit runs about $115.. Has everything you need- Also get new Headbolt sets-- Runs about $30..
While you are there check for any hard /cracked/dried out vaccum hoses..
Good luck

Tony63
90 SC (Out for pully)
91 5.0
94 3.8 LX (Out for Trans rebuild)
95 4.6
70 Mustang
90 Jeep

Thrillhunter said:
Hey everyone! I'm about to put on a new set of headgaskets on my 89 SC. I know I'll need to obviously do my valve covers as well. While I've got her apart, what all else to you all suggest me look at/replace while I'm in there. I'm looking to keep my SC stock, no upgrades. As of now, she is the same Bird as she was 16 years ago, with a few ages lines of course..LOL But I'm thinking sensors, pcv valves, etc. that I might need to check while I can easily get to them. Just looking for advice from others that have already drove down this road.

Replace your motor mounts.... at this point in time they are probably close to being shot if not already, and its a heckuva lot easier to do when everything is out. Then your option is solid or liquid mount replacements.

I'm like you and keeping the ole girl stock for the most part but I went with the solid mounts.

Frit

Soild mounts are the only way to go.
Since you have it all apart I would look at doing a valve job it's well worth it.

Back