Oil in IC?

tony63

When doing my Headgaskets this week I found oil in the IC.. Is this normal? If so how much is Normal? It seemed like alot to me and my Supercharger needed oil...

Thank again for the help..

Tony63
90 SC (Out for SC pully)
91 5.0
94 3.8 LX (Out for Trans rebuild)
95 4.6
70 Mustang
90 Jeep

Yes it is normal. But I believe that oil comes mostly from the engine. Clean out the IC with mineral spirits and you'll be fine.

tony63 said:
When doing my Headgaskets this week I found oil in the IC.. Is this normal? If so how much is Normal? It seemed like alot to me and my Supercharger needed oil...
A small amount of oil in the IC isn't bad but how much oil was missing from the SC? Did you notice SC oil on the snout?

There was enough to leave a small puddle (About a 2 in. round) on the floor after the IC tubes were disconneted and left alone for awhile. The SC was about 3 oz. low. And no oil on the snout..

Tony63
90 SC (Out for sc pully)
91 5.0
95 4.6
70 Mustang
90 Jeep

It's normal to get that amount of oil into the intake system from the PCV valve. Since the lower IC tube connection is the lowest point in the intake system, that's were the oil collects. It's most likely motor oil.

I've tried various methods of trapping the oil but I'm still getting some in the intake. I'm currently using a fuel filter to trap some of the oil, but it just works okay. I still want to try a good oil seperator like some of the 03/04 Cobra guys are using.

David

Spinningwheels has something to help...

Heres something similar to what the Cobra guys are using....
click here
I've been running one of these on my car for 6 months now and I have had to empty the oil trap on it at least 3-4 times already. Tell me that wasin't hindering the efficency of my I/C, I'm sure that oil helps disipate heat well in the cooling tubes of your I/C :rolleyes: ;) I cleaned my I/C out before putting the seperator on but haven't had my lower I/C tube off since installing it, I'm sure it will have a lot less oil in it come the next time I take the I/C off! :cool:

Gregthespy said:
Heres something similar to what the Cobra guys are using....
click here
I've been running one of these on my car for 6 months now and I have had to empty the oil trap on it at least 3-4 times already. Tell me that wasin't hindering the efficency of my I/C, I'm sure that oil helps disipate heat well in the cooling tubes of your I/C :rolleyes: ;) I cleaned my I/C out before putting the seperator on but haven't had my lower I/C tube off since installing it, I'm sure it will have a lot less oil in it come the next time I take the I/C off! :cool:

Yes..that's the one I'm talking about. Humm...didn't know Victor was selling those.

David

It seems to be doing the job for me so far David each time I've emptied the trap there's at least 1/2 oz of oil in there, of course my engine has unknown milage estimated at about 165K+ I'm sure a lower milage or rebuilt engine would have diffrent results as I have. But I do know it's doing something! :cool:

NMxr7SC said:
Looks like something I could make at harbor freight for about $10! :D

I tried the Harbor Freight one and it fell apart after about 500 miles. I don't think it liked the heat because the glued parts started coming apart.

David

That looks very similar to the separator on the self-oiling air compressors I use at work. I'm looks to me that one could be fabbed up pretty cheap and easily.
Tom

Just got back from pricing these. Barbed fittings $1.29 ea. at harbor freight. My harbor freight didn't have the separators they were all out. I found the cambell hausfield separator for $12 at walmart.
Hell, those dumb SC owners are used to overpaying for parts! Let's see what we can gouge them for next! :eek:

Harbor Freight Kicks ...

NMxr7SC said:
Just got back from pricing these. Barbed fittings $1.29 ea. at harbor freight. My harbor freight didn't have the separators they were all out. I found the cambell hausfield separator for $12 at walmart.
Hell, those dumb SC owners are used to overpaying for parts! Let's see what we can gouge them for next! :eek:
Dude, I love that store ... picked up the spanner wrench set for the IC Tube / SC Cap Nut ..it came with free bonus points ... when removing or installing threaded collar on the cap you need to use a smaller spanner wrench to remove the threaded seat/collar retainer ... Not sure if the FORD special tool works on both pieces but the wrench set from Harbor Freight had things well under control...

They currently have the tool kit for doing U-Joints & Ball Joints on sale for 29.99

I also just picked up a small compressed air filter very similar to the balstom type coalescing I believe is shown in the link. Harbor Freight Price was ~4.00 :cool:

Thanks Guys.. I will rock on now that I know it is normal..

Tony63
90 SC (Out for SC pully)
91 5.0
95 4.6
70 Mustang
90 Jeep

Back