replace a/c clutch

From the '92 Factory Service Manual

Removal

1. Remove the clutch hub retaining bolt.

2. Pull clutch hub and shims from compressor shaft. If hub cannot be pulled from compressor shaft, screw an 8mm bolt into the shaft hole of the clutch hub to force the hub from the shaft.

3. Remove pulley retaining snap ring.

4. Pull the pulley and bearing assembly from compressor.

Installation

1. Clean pulley bearing surface of compressor head to remove any dirt or corrosion.

2. Install pulley and bearing assembly on compressor. The bearing is slip fit on the compressor head and if properly aligned, should slip on easily.

3. Install pulley retaining snap ring with bevel side of snap ring out.

4. Place one nominal thickness spacer shim inside the hub spline opening and slide the hub on the end of compressor shaft.

5. Thread a new 6mm hub retaining bolt into end of compressor shaft. Tighten hub retaining bolt to 11-13 N-m (9-10 lb-ft). DO NOT USE AIR TOOLS.

6. Check clutch air gap between clutch hub and pulley mating surfaces with a feeler gauge. The air gap should be between 0.45 and 0.85mm (0.018 and 0.033 inch). Check at three locations equally spaced around the pulley.

7. If clutch air gap is not within 0.45- 0.85mm (0.018-0.033 inch), repeat Steps 4, 5 and 6 with various thickness shims until air gap is within specified limits.

8. When installing a new clutch, cycle clutch 10 times at idle to burnish clutch and prevent slippage.

Now, I've never done this so I don't have any idea how difficult it will be. (If it's like everything else on an SC, it's probably a pain in the a$$)

LJGriggs said:
3. Remove pulley retaining snap ring.
This will require snapring pliers with a long nose. As far as i can tell, there is no other way to get the ring out. You can't do it with screwdrivers.

Back