I knew they were going to get it wrong! - 76mm C&L MAF - sample tube question

MrBlvd

OK so I ordered a 76mm C&L MAF off e-bay from thunderbolt motorsports. Just could not beat the price of 135.00 inculding shipping + the "correct" sampling tube. I should have know it was too good to be true ... especially when I got an e-mail from them asking which sampling tube to send. They did not know the injector differences between 89-93 & 94/95. Anyway, I sent them several links including the one from " Dr. Fred" on the tube vs. injector size vs. model yr. info.

So it looks like I have the set-up for 42 lbs injectors. While I am eventually going to get them, I currently have the stock 36 on my 94 SC.

So:

1. Can someone please confrim I have the wrong tube. I told them I needed the yellow tube based on my search of the threads (which I sent them).
2. Based on my search on this subject, if I install this with my stock injectors and EEC, my car will run rich and have a lousy idle but I should not have a dangerouse lean condition. Is this correct? Or will my car go lean? :confused:

I felt guilty :eek: not supporting one of our fine "SC community" suppliers ... I guess I got the Karma I deserved ... unless of course I'm wrong on the tube color.
David

Attachments

• 76mm_orange-tube.jpg
    76mm_orange-tube.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 544
Things could be looking up

OK Damon, The box does have the 19 crossed out and 36 written down to indicate the setup is for 36 ... I also just read a post discussing the fact that the gold and orange colors used can be very hard to distinguish. So I guess at this point I will go ahead and install it and see what happens. :eek:

Could you tell by the picture what color the tube is?

The color appears to be orange which is not the right tube. It will cause the car to run lean.

You could have gotten it from me (C&L Dealer). I have just as good of pricing and would have gotten you the right one the first time. ;)

I already admitted to my betrayal (sp?)

XR7 Dave said:
The color appears to be orange which is not the right tube. It will cause the car to run lean.

You could have gotten it from me (C&L Dealer). I have just as good of pricing and would have gotten you the right one the first time. ;)

Tell me, did I do my research correct I need the yellow (gold since C&L doesn't show yellow as a choice)? Please send me an e-mail at pettengilldd@adelphia.net with your price for the correct tube.

Also, do you know what the part number indicates, is there any relavence to 096=gold, 097=orange, 099=purple? I do not think it represents a drill size or a dimensional value. The only thing I can think of is a % from "factor setting" but I'm not sure the numbers "move" in the correct direction for this either?

But, I bet you know don't you ;)

Yes you need a yellow or gold tube. The number system is an incremental system and does not represent any dimension. Orange would be appropriate for 38lb injectors.

If there was a 19 crossed out and a 36 added....I would think that they just took a stang 19 and relabled it which would be correct. You just need to find out if its really gold or orange...Wouldnt make much sence if it was orange being that it had 19lb written on the box and corssed out....But Hey who knows..

Just ask the people you got it from..I personally cant tell what a gold one looks like when compared to orange..My gold one however looks similiar to the one you posted

Damon

Gold is most definitely yellow. Orange would be for a 90 SC with 36lb injectors, not a 95 with stock injectors.

It really is confusing isn't it

Good Lord ... orange that looks like yellow ... yellow that looks like gold ... I bet their blue looks like purple :confused:

Regarding the calibration page on the C&L site, this is confusing as well given the way they try to present the differences between the 89/93 and 94/95 ... especially for the 76mm MAF...

If there was a 19 crossed out and a 36 added....I would think that they just took a stang 19 and relabled it which would be correct. You just need to find out if its really gold or orange...Wouldnt make much sence if it was orange being that it had 19lb written on the box and corssed out....But Hey who knows..

Just ask the people you got it from..I personally cant tell what a gold one looks like when compared to orange..My gold one however looks similiar to the one you posted

Damon

Damon --- I certainly agree with your logic ... however, the car definately feels "wanting" when I drive it ... there is a sense of lag/delayed response ... I have not really stepping into it/pushed it as I'm concerned about the potential lean condition ... Wish I had a wide band O2 installed!! ....

They (C&L) really should stamp or engrave the part number on the tube! They are currently machining the threads on the top surface of the tube ... if this is being done on NC equipment vs. drill press, they could add the engraving operation for very little added costs. Perhaps a number is already there, I did not remove it and look ... but if not, it would be a nice addition (in my opinion)

Burbank95sc said:
I'm little confused here.What color is the tube for 94-95 sc with 42 injectors
thanks Derek

A 94/95 car with 42's should use the orange tube (097), since that would be the next step up in injectors.

As the colors, there are some tubes with no color at all. I had 3 different ones at one time, talk about have to keep your ducks in a row when putting them up for storage. I too wish C&L would stamp the # on the side of the tube.

not to steal a thread here but does anyone know the width of the tube needed on a 76mm unit on a early style car?, Im upgrading to 42's and the tube that came with my unit has no colour on it, may save myself some money here.

They may have just screwed up...Being I have no yellwo /orange tube ot compare..I cant tell ya..But if it doesnt feel right..Chances are it isnt

I've just received orange tube from c&l and you can deffinetly see the diffrence beetween orange and yellow tube
here is the photo

Last edited:
Back