PDA

View Full Version : Replaced Fuel pump and.....

layinthesmack31
07-23-2005, 03:25 PM
Well i got the fuel pump replaced and now sometimes when i go to start the car after it sits a while it takes a few times to crank before it actually starts. Also my check gauge light comes on and the needle on the fuel level gauge is on E. Well the thing is when i drove it the check gauge light goes off. I know there isnt much fuel in the tank so i dont know if this is that cause or not. But i still dont understand why it is starting hard after it sits. I can start it right after i turn it off no prob but after it sits it acts weird. But any help would be greatly appreciated and if u guys need more info let me know. Thanks

Matt

Mike8675309
07-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Check your fuel pressure at the rail when running and after the engine stops. Pressure should hold for a while after you stop the engine. If pressure's not holding, you have a leak somewhere after the pump. Either external to the tank or internal.

To test that theory you can also turn the key on, but don't start the engine. Listen for the fuel pump to run and once it stops, then crank the engine. It'll probably start right up. That tells you that you're losing fuel pressure after key off.

layinthesmack31
07-24-2005, 11:34 PM
Well i tried your test as to listening for the pump to stop and it seems like it still starts a little hard even after i let it run. So i pulled the pump back out trying to look for leaks but when i got it out everything seems ok. The only thing i can think of is that the fuel level is really low in the tank and it is having trouble getting the fuel to start the car. I did order a fuel pressure gauge so i can at least check to see what the pressure is but i wont have that til later in the week. I just dont understand why the check gage light is on. maybe the is also because the fuel is soo low that the float isnt floating. I really dont know. I just didnt plan on having issues seeing as how it was pretty simple to upgrade the pump. Well any more info would be great. Thanks again

Matt

fturner
07-25-2005, 07:32 AM
I think you've about answered your own problem..... something about not having enough fuel in the gas tank?

Frit

rlong
07-25-2005, 08:34 PM
sounds to me like bad pump really but could be out of gas or maybe they picked up some dirt and clogged the filter or a leak somewhere leaking off pressure or bad pump

darriantbird
07-25-2005, 08:47 PM
did you change the fuel filter?

layinthesmack31
07-25-2005, 10:24 PM
no i didnt change the filter because it was good before i took the pump out so i really didnt think to. i could alwyas try that since the is about as easy as it gets haha. Should i have changed it even if i did it like 2 yrs ago and i only drive the car in the summer? thanks

Matt

Mike8675309
07-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Well put more fuel in the tank.

The check gauges light is on because the fuel level is low. It'll come on after the fuel gets low enough that it wants to remind you to check the gauge.

The pump could have trouble priming itself if there isn't enough fuel. Can you add a 1/2 gallon to the tank?