Front End Suspension Rebuild?

johnwartjr

Greetings

My 95 has 110,xxx miles and is wearing the passengers side front tire oddly. It's wearing heavily on the outside edge of the tire. The car is definately out of alignment slightly, it pulls on a nice flat straight road. The tire has the correct amount of air in it.

So, I am thinking it's time for a 4 wheel alignment. I'm wondering if I might be at a good time to have the ball joints, tie rod ends etc replaced as I'm sure they are worn. Also, I've seen some folks just replaced the entire upper control arm, is this a good idea?

If anyone would be willing to post up a list of what I should have checked/replaced, and provide a rough idea of what I'd be spending it would be great. I haven't decided what local place to take it to for the work. I'd love to do the work myself, but I have next to no time and don't really have the experience or the correct tools.

Once I get this buttoned up, I'd like to put a nice set of wheels and tires on the car :)

Thanks!

--john

Over time, bushings, motor mounts, ball joints, springs and shocks wear out.

Put it up on a hoist. Check if the springs are broken, shocks are leaking, ball joints are dry or if there is play, bent tie-rods, rotten bushings, excessive play in the steering, and if the power steering pump squeals. Due to age, the motor mounts need to be done. It's generally more cost effective to replace a control arm than replacing a ball joint and bushings if you need someone to do the work for you. Check wheel bearings for play.

Depending on the year of your car (1995 - sb ok) and if you want to go with big brakes, then there are some other suspension parts you will need. Similarly if you want to go with Mustang wheels, you will have to change your bolt pattern.

Price depends on whether you DIY, get premium parts (or used), and the amount of work that needs to be done.

If you plan to keep the car for 5 years or more, and the rest of the car is holding out, do it all and you will notice a big change in the handling. Otherwise, just replace what's broken because something else will crop up soon.

Took the car in for the alignment this morning

The left front control arm (upper) was pretty bad, so they're going to replace it. I'm looking at ~350 after tax for the control arm, labor, alignment and an oil change

Have 4 new BFG Traction TA's coming in hopefully the first of the week to replace the crappy tires on the car now

Hopefully this will keep me going through the winter. I need to determine what direction to take with this car

Thanks for the feedback, I just looked back at your reply while deciding what to do today. I'd considered rebuilding the whole front end, but am gonna wait it out and see what happens.

Wow!!

Do you have any idea what a new Upper control Arm Cost from Advanced Auto, or Autozone??

The most expensive is $53.99. It incluldes upper control arm as well as bushings and ball joint.

If there is any way you can DIY or have other friends help you it really isn't that hard at all. Then the alignment should only be around $50-60 depending on shop.

Oil change, come on!....honestly you can change it your self for about $17.00 filter and all. You can even go to Wal-mart for close to that.

I say this, but it also depends on if you have the tools, time, and skills to DIY. If not then boy is it going to cost you a lot to keep up with your SC's maintenance, letting a shop do everything.

Good Luck

BTW I just did the entire Front Suspension, (all 4 control arms, tie rod ends, sway bar links/bushing, strut rod bushing, for both sides on my 95 SC and it only cost me around $400.00 including the alignment.
So take it for what it worth

Back