infamous "honking" IAC

speedfreak

My car does that honking thing about two seconds after I shut the car off (every time). To be honest, I thought it was something that we screwed up when we ported the supercharger, but today I read something about it in a recent post. I did a search and found that many other people have had this problem, and it is clearly the IAC. The strange thing is, my car idles beautifully. Every once and awhile (maybe every 30th time I start it), the engine will crank hard. Sounds like the ignition timing has been cranked WAY up, when trying to start. Then if I turn the key off and try again....its fine. My question is........does the IAC have anything to do with this particular starting problem. And will a bad IAC cause the car to be down on power. I am pretty sure that a bad IAC would just allow too much air to bypass through the throttle body at idle...........but some of you know ALOT more that me.

yep. you answered your own question. Your IAC is dying. Slowly but painfully. So anywho. waddle down to the FORD DEALERSHIP and get yourself a new one. Have fun replacing it.

hmmmm I wonder if thats my problem.....Honking gurgling..I dunnmo man

Does it sound like a gurgling whiel running and a lil afte ryou shut it off...And occasionally just go away???

No.......more like a "belch" about 2 seconds after I shut it off, only does it for like a second. type in "honking sound" under search....thats where I found my info. I heard the sound you describe once on a Taurus, but it ended up being a blown head gasket. The sound was the coolant bubbling. But, I am sure you would know if you had a BHG.

My Sc had that hard start problem and was exactly like yours, but it had nothing to do with the IAC. Sounds like 2 different problems.

Thats kinda what I am thinking........just thought maybe somebody had same problem. Neither one of these problem are enough to even annoy me, but I would still like to know why it does the things that it does.

Fuel Pressure Regulator

I would check your fuel pressure regulator to see if the sound is coming from there. My SC did the same thing and it wasn't the IAC. I was coming from the FPR area. It has only did it a few times and quit. It was at that time I began adding fuel system cleaner to my tank to help clean out the injectors since I was having a hard starting problem as well. It has cleared up since. I will be replacing my FPR anyway since the car has 150k+ miles on her now.
Bill

speedfreak said:
My car does that honking thing about two seconds after I shut the car off (every time). To be honest, I thought it was something that we screwed up when we ported the supercharger, but today I read something about it in a recent post. I did a search and found that many other people have had this problem, and it is clearly the IAC. The strange thing is, my car idles beautifully. Every once and awhile (maybe every 30th time I start it), the engine will crank hard. Sounds like the ignition timing has been cranked WAY up, when trying to start. Then if I turn the key off and try again....its fine. My question is........does the IAC have anything to do with this particular starting problem. And will a bad IAC cause the car to be down on power. I am pretty sure that a bad IAC would just allow too much air to bypass through the throttle body at idle...........but some of you know ALOT more that me.

also check the throttle body gasket to make sure it didnt get suck in and see if the throttle body is tight. i had the same problem and come to find out the gasket was missing and the throttle body was loose. it could be the iac also but check the tb first. i didnt have a gasket at the time so i used some loctite #510 and it worked fine :D

Back